WHY fi?

Just got this glowforge Friday, came home connected made 4 or 5 things between friday and saturday. Sunday it just stopped connecting. I haven’t moved it, haven’t changed anything. I spent over an hour Sunday re-doing the setup steps over and over. restarted my computer, forgot network, reconnected and nothing, This was the ONE reason I swayed from this glowforge was fear of connection and not being able to usb connect. now i am sitting here stuck and cant get it to connect. HELP!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

It is frustrating, but sometimes another device (even a neighbor’s) can cause interference. Tracking down the problem can be really hard. Have you tried turning off your home wifi and using your phone’s hot spot?

4 Likes

Have you tried rebooting your router? That usually solves it whenever I’ve had a connection issue

4 Likes

I have tried everything, it will print one thing then disconnect and I have to re-connect. I am now stuck with it saying centering and the laser is in the center but nothing is happening. I have restarted my computer and unplugged and replugged the machine. everything else is working, i even stream in here and the glowforge is closer to router than the TV. anyone else having this issue that is it offline more than online?

1 Like

you might have a neighbor that is causing interference.

2 Likes

Do you know how to change channels? Routers default to the same couple of channels so those few get crowded, but they all have the ability to manually change to a different one.
If you don’t, let us know what router you have (make/model) and one of us can really you through it.

3 Likes

People are skirting the main issue here which is that the WiFi Glowforge uses pretty much sucks. It’s the most finicky wifi you’re likely to encounter in your lifetime. That’s not to say that the suggestions you’ve received are incorrect. They’re all correct. It’s just that every other wifi device in the universe isn’t affected like the Glowforge wifi is. So, yes… Change channels. When you find one that works consistently, keep it. Try one of many free WiFi Analyzer apps for your mobile device as it may help you find an clear channel. Put a wifi extender close to the Glowforge or move your router closer. Once you’ve solved it, you’ve solved it. So at least there’s that.

2 Likes

If the Glowforge’s WiFi is the “most finicky wifi you’re likely to encounter” you live a lucky life!

It’s the most stable one in my house of smart devices. Some folks have to fiddle to find a place where it’s stable the first time, but once you have a stable connection you’ll likely never have to change it.

3 Likes

The Glowforge uses the 2.4 mhz band while your streaming is probably 5.0 mhz, and streaming is in packets while Glowforge needs to have specific data as a break in a bad place could make a mess, though the need is not over such long times.

I am very much not an expert, but this is what I have seen. That “break in a bad place” could be a problem, and after the suggestions here a talk with your provider might go a long way to solving the problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.