Why is part of my engrave not... engraving?

I have an all vector file in Illustrator. There is a logo that looks fine in the main screen and in the thumbnail on the left that is set to engrave.

But when I hit print, the top two lines of the logo never preview and if i hit the start button, they don’t etch. They disappear.

I can’t discern any difference in the file. I’ve tried both SVG and PDF, neither works.

Thoughts?

Here’s the SVG.

AWLA_Heart copy.zip (7.3 KB)

haven’t looked at your file but are you trying to engrave a stroked, open path, or did you convert the path to a filled shape?

it should be a filled shape, but I didn’t create it (it’s the rescue’s logo file). so let me go back in and scan for any open ends.

ugh. not sure what exactly they did. i grabbed one node and dragged it and it revealed another layer of stroke beneath. but it looks like it’s still one object. deleting all the excess lines i can find and will try again.

i swear, other designers making sloppy files is the bane of me. i take great pride in the fact that my printers always tell me how wonderful my files are set up for them.

anyway, looks like that worked. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

6 Likes

Oops sorry! I was looking at the rectangle shape/lines and not the text. That’s what I get for looking at pictures on the phone.

Sometimes this evening engrave elements take a minute to process entirely and if you go to print before they are processed, they will fail to print.

Supports recommendation is to put a bounding box (of a different color so you can ignore the operation) around the entire design. This, I believe, makes it process as a group - basically all or none, not just some.

1 Like

That works too lol. Sounds like a similar situation to when you have overlapping components and the overlap doesn’t engrave (most often seen here when parts of outlined text components overlap).

yeah, probably overlapping. looked like two copies of the same thing on the top two lines.

1 Like

And done. Nothing too fancy, but I wanted to give the shelter a valentine tomorrow when I go in to volunteer tomorrow.

24 Likes

It came out great! They’ll love it.

2 Likes

What a thoughtful gift!

1 Like

I’m so glad you were able to resolve the issue, @shop. The project turned out great!

Since you’re good to go, I’ll close this thread now. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com. Happy printing!