Why is this cutting 3 times?

I was hoping that someone could help me figure this out. I’ve made this “wall art” for a customer and where the loop on the top hangs on the nail, that gap wants to cut like 3 times but I don’t tell it to. Any ideas as to why this would happen if I didn’t specify the 3 passes?

Here is the file attached for your perusal. Maybe, somehow, in the file there is a reason. Enjoy that file too btw. I don’t mind putting it out there for others to use. TIA!

heart%20lock

Oh, and in case you’re wondering, the green line is supposed to be a score and the rest are cut lines.

4 Likes

Pretty simple explanation. There are three lines overlaid in that area. Ungroup and delete two of them.

8 Likes

Thanks! I’ll get rid of them. I have no idea why there would be multiple lines, I don’t remember making them but thanks again!

1 Like

I don’t pretend to know why or how to avoid those problems before trying to print. But there are three overlaid lines.

6 Likes

My technique is:

• select all the paths
  • increase stroke size (optional, but makes it easier to see)
  • set opacity to 50%

Any place that has overlapping strokes/fills will be obvious. Delete the duplicates and reset your opacity.

7 Likes

You’ll also develop an eye for it… I could see just from this preview that there were lines stacked on top of one another. See the difference in thickness just from the preview here?

6 Likes

Here’s an illustration of the opacity method:

You can see how dark the overlapping line between Lincoln Park and Lyell-Otis is compared to the outer border on the left.

4 Likes

Thank you for offering your file for everyone. That’s very kind of you!

1 Like