Why the delay on the filter unit?

waiting almost a year for the filter unit is unconscionable. can’t bring the GF into the house until I can filter the smoke. my garage is too hot in Florida except after midnight until just after dawn. otherwise the unit times out “for cooling” and doesn’t come back (waiting more than a couple hours!).

and I’m not leaving a window open … it rains often in Florida!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Cut a dryer vent. You won’t regret it. If you don’t want to do it, hire someone to do it, and cancel the filter. Dryer vent installation is cheap, throw a huge rager party with the change.

Bonus: dryer vents don’t have media to replace. Once you set it up, it’s free… the filter will cost you over its lifetime.

5 Likes

I didn’t want to cut a dryer vent (I’m buying my personal unit in August), and then I looked at how much those filters were going to be to replace and I got over my issues with a dryer vent pretty quick.

But even if you don’t want to/can’t cut a vent, you can cut out a wood or plex insert (I’ve got casement windows, and it can be done, even if it’s a giant PITA).

5 Likes

I can’t cut a dryer vent as I am in a condo. I used a piece of 3/4 melamine plywood cut to slide into my window frame with weatherstrip on the edges. I cut a hole the size of the louvered vent cover and attached the vent hose. I open the window, insert the board, and close the window on top of it. A couple of sections of foam seals the edges of the window. It isn’t perfect, but it has been fine for the year since I got my GF and have been waiting on the filter.

1 Like

while cutting a dryer vent, even saying it again does not necessarily work … I have horizontal sliding window so venting to the outside leaves a 5ft tall gap in my air conditioning…it’s 90+ degrees out side. not exactly workable.

Yeah cutting a vent doesn’t work for some people for various reasons. It’s too bad because it’s the best (meaning least expensive and most stable) solution in many cases.

I don’t mean to be insensitive to those who have extenuating circumstances, I merely mean that if it’s at all possible, cutting a vent is a good investment.

My windows are horizontal sliding, my gap filler that holds the exhaust vent for the glowforge just fills the whole gap and has a layer of rigid insulation on it. The glowforge exhaust is 200ish CFM anyways, that is going to hurt your AC more than a 6" x5’ piece of wood in a window will

1 Like

Use a piece of plywood or MDF cut to fill the gap. If you want the light, use a piece of plexi instead.