Why the difference? (File issue) Fill rule Corel

Student edition of X4 I think. I had actually tried to purchase X8, great deal - and got screwed over royally - it didn’t come with the license.

Arggghhhh Matey! (Didn’t know it was a pirate site - got taken for however much the going price for X8 was at the time.) :roll_eyes:

So CD is a no go.

1 Like

I’ll look at it tonight. I’m interested because I have a project I want to do that has engraves embedded in other engrave blocks as well as reliefs in engraved sections.

Of course it may be theoretical if the GF temps out on me - I may only be able to confirm through the GFUI.

I’m using X8 btw.

2 Likes

:angry: learned my lesson, SW only from known retail or from the actual publisher. Everything is a trade off though, I picked up CD x8 student/home for a fair price but part of making it student/home was to remove the DXF import/export!

1 Like

Just to complexify this a little more, I managed this morning to find a case where a no-fill vector file (all score/cut) will have a bunch of changes when converted to an engrave in the GFUI. There are some areas that go from lines bounding an unzapped region into solid engraves of the region. And some spots where regions get engraved that had no lines in them at all on the original. It’s another bitmap trace (edge detection) so I’m not surprised that something gets confused, but going from no-fill to yes-fill and adding artifacts seems strange. (Yes, reported)

3 Likes

I think the reason it goes wrong is because most of the loops have the wrong winding order. I wrote a program to display all the loops with negative area and it it just shows the three odd shaped holes the GFUI shows plus the centres of the O’s and A’s, etc. The large shape and all the text outlines have positive area, which is wrong. The centres of the letters should be positive area as they are islands.

So a program that uses winding order to determine what is a hole and what is an island will show what the GFUI shows. A program that counts how many loop boundaries are crossed to get to the outside will get it right if it assumes the outer loop is an island, not a hole.

4 Likes

This looks relevant: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/icomoon/CRzG2VpPY58

It looks like the GFUI is ignoring the fact the file has fill-rule:evenodd; see https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/fill-rule

So I think it is a bug in GFUI but you can probably work around it in Coraldraw.

4 Likes

Not a bug in the GFUI…it was not written to handle Coreldraw SVG output and was never supposed to. We’ve been told Illustrator and Inkscape from the beginning of time.

Unfortunately that means that folks who want to use it have to adapt their files.

Them giving us the PDF option makes it possible though, so it’s not like folks don’t have options that work now. And one day they might add support for Coreldraw. Who knows?

I’d like to see them get the basic version out to everyone before they start mucking with the interface though…it usually messes things up when you do that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t think it is a Coreldraw specific SVG file. SVG is a standard and part of the standard says you can specify the fill rule. The GFUI is only a partial implementation of an SVG reader if it doesn’t support it. It is not as though it is a non-standard Coreldraw extension.

6 Likes

Awww, very good find! When you mentioned the winding issue you found I had wondered if it was the same thing as the node / path direction in Corel. I had actually noticed that the larger shape had a different path directions than the smaller shapes. I’ll try reversing the paths and see if it makes a difference. I think you’ve identified it. Don’t know if necessarily I’ll be able to work around it and get it to work, but it’s good to know what the issue is.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever met an engineer that understands this, seems to be an occupational hazard and you are no exception.

An old saying about this is: “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.”
As a tech following engineers for the last 40 years saying “this can’t possibly be doing this” I have used the line too many times.

So, no, CD SVG is NOT the same as Inkscape or AI SVGs. You can even find in some SW packages where they acknowlage this and have several SVG import filters.

2 Likes

Inkscape SVGs aren’t the same as Inkscape SVGs. Inkscape has 2 different SVG formats. Regardless, GF says it supports SVGs not Inkscape-only SVGs. That means it needs to support the SVG standard no matter what software product created it as long as the file meets the standard.

Otherwise they need to add “Inkscape SVG files” to it’s list of requirements. I expect it’s just an oversight though - there are a lot of AI & CD users at GF. @dan is one of them :grinning:

5 Likes

While I get GUI is a work in progress and I’m not complaining about the glitch, I respectfully disagree that the GF was advertised as only handling SVG files specifically from Inkscape and Illustrator. I understand not that all SVGs from different programs are identical, but It’s not like Corel is some obscure little program and a minor player in the graphics world . The whole exercise of the post was just to figure out what was going on. I don’t expect something like this to be a priority to be fixed, but it still is a bug if the GUI isn’t interpreting the SVG files correctly.

FWIW The tech specs on the GF website doesn’t specify it only supports files from two specific programs. I suppose it could be hidden in documentation elsewhere though.

SOFTWARE

Trace mode scans material with a drawing on it, then cuts and engraves over the top
Compatible with JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF, and other file formats
Drag-and-drop with live preview to position designs on the material
Catalog of premium, customizable, ready-to-print designs

2 Likes

I’ve been upgrading ever since Corel 8 every few years…now using X8.
Upgrades are about $199 for full suite for me if I remember. Not sure if its because I’ve been with them so long though…

3 Likes

It’s not a question of it not handling SVGs as long as the requirements for the interface to interpret the engraving are met, and those requirements for vector engraves are that islands inside of the fill HAVE to be empty in order not to be engraved.

Whatever CorelDraw is doing to the SVG, those parts are not empty. They look empty but they are not. Opening the CorelDraw SVG in Illustrator shows the fill. Illustrator empties them when you process a file through subtraction. Inkscape empties them. So the problem here is with how CorelDraw is treating that function. They are not really empty.

Maybe changing the path direction will fix it or not - I don’t know. I think you are the first person to try to use a CorelDraw created SVG directly in the interface, so this is a real voyage of discovery for everyone.

Rather than see a lot of folks be disappointed when they can’t immediately use their CorelDraw SVG files for engraving complex images, we might want to just try to figure out how to make it work. Maybe the CorelDraw created engraving files will need to be loaded as PDF. That’s easy enough to do. And if there’s no engraving, the interface seems to handle the Strokes and Cutting just fine in the CorelDraw SVGs.

Oh - forgot to mention this earlier…there is another way to deal with it …you could always convert the image to a raster, embed it in the file, and handle the engrave that way. That also works extremely well.

Anyway, those are just some options for you to try. If they don’t work, maybe someone who is more familiar with CorelDraw can come up with something.

we should also be careful to not presume which of the multiple design programs as well as GFUI are actually interpreting the standard correctly. if any of them are not following the standards strictly, then there’s something that can blow up when you move between them.

3 Likes

So, like I said, I’ve been using Corel for ages…lol. To be honest, the first time I heard of an SVG file is here in this forum to use with the Glowforge as my lasers print straight from Corel. Anytime I try to import an SVG into CD, it does not come in properly either. It’s listed in the importable/exportable files list but doesn’t seem to like it very much…
I would definitely save what ever file as a PDF to send to the Glowforge.

~edit~ @dan later comments that this would not be advisable for the first choice. SVGs have had more testing done and would be a better choice.~~~

Convert any text to object and no fills. PDF can open up perfectly back into Corel if you need to make changes.

3 Likes

Ahhhh! Thanks for the verification that it can work. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, I assume it will work…lol. Dont have a :glowforge: to actually verify :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

True! (At least it’s something to try…) :smile:

Most of my work is in Corel to SVG to GFUI. I don’t often filter them through Inkscape. On some of my computers I don’t have Corel so it’s Inkscape or AI (probably in that order). I’ve been using it since forever so I’m more used to CD but the kids are AI-ers and class is Inkscape for uniformity across the students. So I had to be multi-lingual :smiling_face:

This is a GFUI issue with how they’re handling SVG - just happens to be CD but it’s years worth since folks have recreated it with some pretty old versions. I’d expect they’ll fix it. It’s not like taking DXF off the list because SVG is pretty central to their marketing position and CD is pretty prevalent in the education space.

I don’t import SVGs. I just use File|Open. Haven’t noticed any issues (but I do have issues sometimes with DXF files🙁).

I do make sure I save my files in whatever program as SVG, not Inkscape SVG or compressed SVG - even in Inkscape.

3 Likes