Why use "Proofgrade" material?

So that we can easily use “Proofgrade Settings”? THE SETTINGS DO NOT WORK! You end up wasting just as much material as if you went through testing non-proofgrade material. But you feel worse because the proofgrade is far more expensive.

Just a quick rant, I’m sorry.

I have always had consistent results using the Proofgrade settings. If you are not getting the desired results using Proofgrade material and Proofgrade settings, Glowforge will often replace the material. I suggest you supply pictures and a more thorough description of the problems you are having so that Support can weigh in.

6 Likes

If the PG settings are not working for you on PG materials, something is wrong. Since you’ve opened a support ticket with this post, why not provide some details so you can find out what’s causing it?

4 Likes

As stated, if your machine is not cutting Proofgrade materials using default settings, it is broken. That needs to be addressed, possibly requiring repair or replacement.

Mine is several years old, one of the first, and still cuts Proofgrade just fine.

Why use Proofgrade? Because it’s the most consistent material you can buy - at least when it comes to wood. Acrylic from other sources can be just as consistent.

4 Likes

cutting a simple rectangle and holes in proofgrade acrylic. i can post pictures, but they don’t show much. just that it didn’t cut through the material. so i ran it again, but did the cut twice and that worked.

i know it sounds whiny, i’ve never had good results cutting proofgrade with proofgrade settings. this is just the first time i’ve bothered to complain.

1 Like

Glowforge support now has the capability to make adjustments to machines individually. It is possible that they can adjust your machine when they address your ticket.

3 Likes

So, get it fixed!

If a new car - or dishwasher, or computer - didn’t operate correctly, would you just live with it?

4 Likes

It’s not so much a complaint when something is wrong. I have never had issue with PG settings in PG stock. The rare time I had issue with the stock GF was very quick to help out.

It’s just saying “Hey, I think something is wrong”.

2 Likes

There was a time when proofgrade settings did not work for me so I ran tests to find out what settings did work. I do not use a lot of proofgrade anyway but I would not use a big piece of work without testing on a small piece. I just did a piece of proofgrade cherry but I don’t like the results from 220LPI so I set the Lpi to 675 and made a guess about the speed but made a small piece to determine if it was too slow as that would blow out the bottom, Once the small piece in the scrap worked I only then made the big piece.

1 Like

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag.

To help us better understand the circumstances around the trouble you’re experiencing, please perform the following test print.

• Print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade material, using Proofgrade settings.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.
  • If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you experienced the issue with, and let us know the results.

Proofgrade comes with a guarantee. If you use the proofgrade settings and it does not cut through email glowforge and provide time you ran it and pictures and they will replace the material. They will make you print the gift of good measure on proofgrade draftboard so they can determine if there is something wrong with your machine. That’s one reason to use proofgrade.

3 Likes

It’s been some time since we’ve heard from you @octdesigns1023. Would you let us know if you’re still experiencing trouble?

Hi @octdesigns1023. It’s been a couple days since Jeremy’s response, and I haven’t seen any recent activity, so I’l go ahead and close this thread. Feel free to create a new thread, or email us at support@glowforge.com, and we’ll be happy to help. Thanks.