Wifi 5GHz band

I used to share internet with a friend 4 houses down the street using a wireless connection with two access points pointed at one another.
I am confident there is a solution for you, even if it is a bit convoluted.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure that the glowforge is wireless only. No wired connection

1 Like

100% sure there is no wired connection.

2 Likes

Only reason I put pretty sure is because he was responding to a post by @dan that mentioned Hardwiring it. But he has said multiple times it will be wireless only, I was just trying not to eat my foot.

1 Like

I believe that the post meant putting the hardwired access point right next to the Glowforge.

3 Likes

Please make the configuration better than some products that must be configured via an app and will only connect to the same SID as the app sees on the device.

Had an annoying experience where I had to move to the 2.4 network on my phone just so when I connected to the 2.4 only device it could connect to the right SID.

kind of that statement doesn’t it show a problem to run a wire to a ap next to the gf to get a wifi connection . wouldn’t it be nice to just plug the cable in sense you running it anyway. but to late now

2 Likes

Yep, and this is about as asinine as it gets…

Yep, if the gf had shipped a year back I could have understood that it’s too late to add. But with the 1 year delay, no reason not to add (so much for not ranting about this again :rage:).

1 Like

While it gets a bit pokey if you’re <1mbps, it’s still quite usable. Anything >1mbps is quite fast. We use it semi-regularly via a tethered phone connection.

2 Likes

I should have remembered that - bummer.

1 Like

Dual band routers are pretty common too and pretty affordable. Now you have both 2.4 and 5ghz channels. Original iPad and father-in-law’s iphone 4 are 2.4 only and I’d put guests on it as well. 5ghz is mine! :smiley:

1 Like

I live in a townhome so there are nearly a dozen WiFi networks visible to me depending on which floor and room on in or on. 5GHz seems a lot less crowded than the 2.4 GHz frequency and my devices run a lot better on 5 than 2.4 GHz. Maybe a new router would help - my current NetGear router has been discontinued but I don’t know if newer models have better throughput or not.

2 Likes

I recently had some home security installed. When the cameras wouldn’t connect with the base unit they supplied and installed two wifi boosters in the house free of charge! Assuming you have budget for home security… we use Vivint.

3 Likes

It’s hard to find better home security than retired homeowners in a townhome development.

11 Likes

This is going to make me have to deal with Charter regarding my cable internet. It keeps dropping the internet connection. Just not ready to spend two days going through the support routine, especially when the modem is in the room next to the beer fridge.

4 Likes

Have you checked your signal levels and Signal to Noise numbers? Usually somewhere on http://192.168.100.1/

Assuming you don’t use 192.168.100 for your personal network.

With the Charter setup of the modem and router being separate, there is not a whole lot of control and info on the modem. Definitely an amazing amount of DDoS attacks in the logs though. It will not reconnect if I try to reset it through the software interface on the router. Have to unplug and replug. Just have to take the time to deal with it.

just a preview I guess of what I have to look forward to, since my TWC is now Spectrum. oh joy.

2 Likes

Ugh. Charter. I have to reset my cable modem every few days. And usually I only get 20-25 Mbps down, even though I pay for 60 Mbps. (Oddly they give me extra upload bandwidth lately; around 6 Mbps vs the 4 Mbps they advertise.)

Recently they came out and replaced the wire to the street because it wasn’t up to their spec. (It wasn’t grounded and I’m sure it was over 30 years old.) And they replaced the cable modem. Didn’t change anything.

1 Like