Wifi not restarting?

I was thinking this morning on the way into work that it would be nice if we could submit alternate wifi settings from the app once we get it connected. When I sign into app.glowforge.com I can see my device is registered. Seems like it would not be that hard to give it separate wifi setups up there.

Or… is it set so the wifi settings stay with the device?

So, I buttoned her all up, and returned her to my house. Immediately shows up in the app as ready to go.

Still need a way to get it to work with the school wifi though. Wondering if this is an option.

Set it up here at home with my phone as the hot spot…

Then use that to get started at school.

After I have had success for a while… Switch completely to the school wifi.

Does anyone else have a situation where they use more than one wifi source?

No, purple is very, very bad. Like ship back bad…

Thank you for the additional information.

I have a few suggestions for you:

• Your Glowforge requires Wi-Fi using 2.4 GHz b/g/n and WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WEP, or open security. Please double check to make sure your network meets these requirements.
  • We recommend having a single dedicated AP broadcasting a network for the Glowforge, to prevent it hopping between APs.
  • Your Glowforge does not support 5 GHz, so we recommend disabling it on the Glowforge’s designated AP.
  • Trying DHCP reservation for your Glowforge, so it keeps the same IP after reboots.

Let us know if this helps.

I appreciate the tips. My IT guy is defending his network like it is his only child.

He says it has a feature to work at 2.4 gHz. I have a work order in, but have not heard from him yet. Will share the tips when I do.

Thanks tons for the info.

It’s been a little while since we heard back from you. I wanted to check in and see if you’re still experiencing any trouble getting things set up at the school?

Thanks for checking in. All good now. I angered my IT guy and got pushed off the list for a few days. We regrouped and I finally got it connected at school.

Just in case anyone else is battling, I’ll share what I did. Step 1 was to create a hotspot (extra router) with the exact same name and PW as the one in my lab. Connected from home and got everything set.

Returned to school and fired it up to have it fail… Let it sit 3 days… Had IT spread the special WO-Modtech (it is a virtual router) to the whole building. We had found that my room with all my toys is creating interference… Moved the glowforge 50’… to another room across the hall.

Plugged it in and it immediately connected and everything was fine.

I ran a test print there, then moved it to my room and have been slicing and dicing since Thurs. =) I can still see the interference mess with the Glowforge as I have had signal drop and it go offline, but after a reboot it was all fine.

Thanks tons for checking in! In the middle of a 3 hr cut today. =)

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks for sharing the details of what helped. I’m making a note of it, as it may be useful advice for others trying to set up on institutional networks in the future. Unfortunately, signal interference is a real concern of working on a 2.4GHz network, and one that’s sometimes difficult to assess remotely (all those toys… so many of us can relate :slight_smile:). I’m so glad to hear you’re up and printing, though, and I really appreciate you taking the time to follow up!

1 Like