Wild Things Light Box

Looks amazing!

2 Likes

Simply amazing! Love these… have a giant Pintrest board of layered art like this.

1 Like

Hi. Awesome job! What holds the layers in place?

3 Likes

A truly amazing piece. I hope we will see more of your work .

3 Likes

Maurice Sendak would have loved that. It’s really amazing. Wish I had it for my elementary school library - the kids would go nuts!

4 Likes

The way the light touches each layer is breathtaking. What an immersive work of art!

5 Likes

So awesome!

2 Likes

I’m impressed! You really jumped into the deep end if this is your first big project! I’ve never made a light box. I’d be interested to see how you hold each layer in place, and the placement of the LEDs.

1 Like

The layers are spaced with strips of foam core board. The LED strip is attached to the inside of the back panel, with a hole drilled (not pictured) to run the cord through the back of the frame.

10 Likes

I’m new to the Glowforge and 140 lb watercolor paper is my preferred medium. Can you tell me the specific settings you’re using? Your results are beautiful!

Welcome to the forum.
For legal reasons, we are not allowed to discuss settings for non Proofgrade materials in this section of the forum. Please search settings in the Beyond the Manual section of the forum. There are many posts with helpful information for people using paper, cardboard, cardstock, etc.

2 Likes

Excellent choice of subject for a project like this and so well executed! Nicely done :smiley:

2 Likes

Very nice work

2 Likes

The lighting truly capture the magic of the story. It’s beautiful!

3 Likes

the real question, and more precisely the ONLY question is… Has the Wild Rumpus Started?

3 Likes

Absolutely breathtaking!

2 Likes

That is really beautiful!

2 Likes

This is an awesome idea for a project. I am an art teacher and I want to do this project with my students. Our school has a brand new GF in the STEAM Dept. I am stumbling trying to figure out what to do. Do files need to be SVG in order to make cuts? Would 90lb drawing paper work? Thanks

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
Files need to be SVG or PDF. Here are some things to read through to familiarize yourself with the basics of using the Glowforge. I don’t know what sort of paper would work best, but the Glowforge is capable of cutting everything from regular copy paper through hardwoods.

4 Likes

Hello. So some of us here have the technical how part down and some have the art part down. A few lucky souls have both. Those of us who only have half the equation have to learn the other half (lucky you’re a teacher :grin:)

For a lightbox it is a combination of technique and materials, artwork or file and some electronics work with the LEDs. There are also shadowboxes, which are pretty much the same thing but without the LEDs. A search of the glowforge forums on either term will deliver a lot of threads. I’ve read here that there are facebook groups and maybe forums dedicated to these techniques and there are files for sale, or possibly free for non-commercial use.

Pretty much, yeah. Inkscape is a free vector editor (thinking schools here), plenty of information in the Glowforge tutorials on it as well as the greater internet. A shadowbox is pretty easy to make with only a basic understanding of Inkscape. I did a nine layer one a couple months ago in a couple hours. I used maple hardwood and am still figuring out how to color the wood so I like it. Needless to say, I fall on the technical and not the art side of things.

I can’t say, however, the stiffness of the paper and how it is mounted is going to be a big factor in success. What I have learned is that paper work on the glowforge has its own unique methods and best practices. Search Beyond the Manual for paper. People do some amazing paperwork, but they do it with a different approach to settings than when working with wood or acrylic.

Is a STEAM dept STEM plus Art? Or was that a typo? I’m just happy the art department is getting in on it. There is art being made with lasers, the glowforge is easy to use, so why confine it to just the STEM enthusiasts???

3 Likes