Will cut the outline but not the inserts ,

yes the crumb tray is in the guides .

Reduce your speed

2 Likes

… and clean your optics, if you haven’t recently.

Not sure the point of showing the ruler pics? That’s only relevant if the crumb tray is removed to print on items over 1/2" thich.

5 Likes

What material is this? What were your settings?

2 Likes

If you use a sander on the back you can maybe save that piece. But I would suggest what the others have so far.

reduced speed , cleaned optics , used the measuring devices to show height. 1/8 inch underlayment from home depot . If it cuts the outside should it not cut the inside as well ?

1 Like

Not necessarily. Inconsistent material will result in inconsistent cuts.

2 Likes

To ask a silly question: Were your settings the same for the interior cuts as the outside cut?

1 Like

Please show us screenshots of the settings for both the part that cut through and the inside parts.

2 Likes

162 / full power . No screen shot needed. The outside cut cleanly, the inside cuts did not , same settings cut at the same time.

1 Like

Did you happen to watch the laser while it was cutting the outline?
Is it possible it did 2 passes? (sometimes graphics software will make a double set of lines stacked on top of each other)

2 Likes

Sometimes the settings can be thought to be set at one thing but are accidentally changed, that’s why I asked. It’s one more way people here can help you, if you were willing to take screenshots.

Hope you find the problem!

3 Likes

I could be wrong, but those cut lines look a little thick to me which would mean your focus was off. Did you use “set focus”, or did you enter the info manually? And based on the picture of the back that shows inconsistent cut depths, that could be an issue of the material not being flat on the tray as well.

2 Likes

yes
cut at the same time , same setting.

Used the set focus, if the material was not cutting because it was not flat then how did the outside cut clean thru ?

I dunno, but since the outside cut clean through and other parts didn’t, it has to be a variable with the wood and/or settings themselves because the exterior cut proves the laser is working. And since the lines looked a bit fat to me, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

3 Likes

There are lots of us willing to help you figure it out, but sometimes we need more info. There are moments when we’ve all made mistakes and sometimes it took longer to figure out than others. I’ve had silly mistakes that I laugh about now, but it helped me remember to check for those things in the future if I have any issues.

In this instance, my gut feeling says it’s the settings most likely. Knowing if it was set to cut and then the speed, power or the focus height are all things that could help narrow down the problem.

If you decide you want to try to figure it out, here are the things you can do to help us help you:

1. resize the design to make it smaller and try again (so you don’t waste more material than necessary)
  2. take screenshots of each of the sections of settings so the details are visible - including the focus height, speed, power and # of passes, as well as if it’s set to cut or score or engrave or what
  3. try the design on a different material
  4. while the GF is printing, watch it. Is it repeating any parts of the design? (probably not but again, we do things to rule out specific issues)

Also, I would examine the design in your software program (whatever you are using). If this design is all cutting, then you could also make everything the same color and the same step in the dashboard, so it’s all guaranteed to be using the same settings for both the inside and outside. That might actually be the best troubleshooting step you could do here.

2 Likes

back n forth with the glowforge folks , something is amiss with the height of the Lazer module . I will work that problem later today.

1, I have cut the design a dozen times perhaps
2. see above
3 …
4 yes I watched the second attempt, one pass on everything.

kelly

| trually Regular
June 19 |

• | - |

There are lots of us willing to help you figure it out, but sometimes we need more info. There are moments when we’ve all made mistakes and sometimes it took longer to figure out than others. I’ve had silly mistakes that I laugh about now, but it helped me remember to check for those things in the future if I have any issues.

In this instance, my gut feeling says it’s the settings most likely. Knowing if it was set to cut and then the speed, power or the focus height are all things that could help narrow down the problem.

If you decide you want to try to figure it out, here are the things you can do to help us help you:

1. resize the design to make it smaller and try again (so you don’t waste more material than necessary)
  2. take screenshots of each of the sections of settings so the details are visible - including the focus height, speed, power and # of passes, as well as if it’s set to cut or score or engrave or what
  3. try the design on a different material
  4. while the GF is printing, watch it. Is it repeating any parts of the design? (probably not but again, we do things to rule out specific issues)

Also, I would examine the design in your software program (whatever you are using). If this design is all cutting, then you could also make everything the same color and the same step in the dashboard, so it’s all guaranteed to be using the same settings for both the inside and outside. That might actually be the best troubleshooting step you could do here.

Is HD underlayment always a consistent wood or could it have various layers/glues that just didn’t like being cut this one time?

I’ve not looked at that product before so I don’t know.

3 ply , outer layers wood the inner mdf ? ( its not wood )
cost … $24 for a 4x8 sheet.