Hate replying to myself, but it has been long enough since the earlier post I am uncertain if the OP will notice an edit. I found the last piece I tested masking on and took some pictures.
This first image is the piece taken straight off my scrap pile. I have done some other cuts since this one, and my ventilation system is half-shod at this point. So some extra smoke got on it. You should be able to tell where the tape had been applied (the bottom half, in case you couldn’t tell).
These next two images are after I rubbed the wood with a cloth dipped in isopropyl alcohol (I hate spelling that out, I swear I have it wrong. I just wanna call it IPA!). I only cleaned the middle two segments of hinge, leaving the outside two as uncleaned reference. The hinges change little enough, but the area between you can no longer tell a difference between masked and unmasked. There is far less difference at this point in the masked and non-masked even on the hinges, but the shadows obscure that a fair bit.
Now, as stated: I did not make any attempt to smooth down the tape when I applied it (mostly because I put it on while the laser was running, and wanted to get out of there before there was any chance I burn my fingers!). If I had ensured full contact and a proper bubble free adhesion, then there would likely have been less difference. And the proximity of the cuts also made it an unfair case for the masking, since most of the masking was ablated.