Will the designs input to the Glowforge be stored on the Cloud?

First off I can’t wait to get my GF. Second I also own an Inventable X-Carve 100mm CNC router which uses a web /cloud based program called Easel. There I can design, store, and retrieved my wood routing designs. Only if I hit a button that says “share” will it allow the rest of the community to see and use it. I am assuming that this will be somewhat if not the same. Of course it could always be hacked but that can happen no matter what as long as you’re tied into the world wide web. lol

I’ve used lint rollers. Some are cheap.

@jskinger re: permanent delete: will put that in the feature hopper (don’t know how it’s implemented at the moment, might be that way already).

We are working out the notions of private, public, and catalog, and what aspects will be for each one.

2 Likes

@dan, could we have an update on this?

I’m afraid it’s just not possible for us to provide running updates on individual feature requests.

1 Like

@dan, ouch. I was referring to your comment above: “We are working out the notions of private, public, and catalog, and what aspects will be for each one.” Just wondering if it’s all sorted.

How is this a “running update on individual feature requests” for you? Cloud and privacy is important to us all. I’ll crawl back under my rock now…

2 Likes

I know, and I’m honored that you and so many other people care so much about what we’re doing! But unfortunately if I updated everyone on everything they cared about when they asked about it, I wouldn’t get any work done. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@dan You’re being somewhat dismissive of an important question. Getting finality on this would be appreciated at some point. Preferably before the units ship.

I can tell you the things you make arent going to be shared with others by default. That would be quite the travesty.

They have spoken about the ability to share your designs with others once they introduce that functionality and potentially have some control over print/download/modify. Dan understands the need for IP protection, and would lose a lot of customers if the designs they were going to print werent safe; not to mention the lawsuits if others got access to private, copyrighted files.

I dont think you have anything to worry about on this front.

2 Likes

I personally don’t see Dan being dismissive. He actually answered that question back in October.
IMHO he has been attentive to the degree his tasks allow.
No one is more aware of the important questions we all have. He reads through the forum in the wee hours, the only time availble to him after a full day working and family life.
Personally I’m impressed he elects to spend those hours here.

As @takitus said, Dan and his lawyer are well aware of IP issues and the liability that presents, so unless you sign an agreement releasing your ownership, it goes without saying that your proprietary designs are safe.

2 Likes

I may be confused - @duality, were you asking about the permanent delete?

1 Like

While I agree in that I don’t think the company is going to do anything untoward with users’ IP, you should never trust a corporation, even one that seems as friendly as this one. It’s always worth asking for clarification about things; this forum, while I like it, generates a real us v them mentality sometimes that I think makes people uncomfortable for disagreeing with the majority.

3 Likes

Good point!
It wasn’t my intention to come off as confrontational, just expressing my opinion based on my own perception, and my understanding of the potential liabilities regarding IP.
My apologies to @Duality if my response seemed curt, I just see the situation differently, and only intended to express that.

Yes, that “tribalism” is to be expected in a Glowforge fanboy club like this, but I think we all understand - all of us here are entitled to ask any question regarding our investment! :sunglasses:

@dan we have touched on something I am interested in on this thread. I plan to put my Glowforge in a local maker space for people to use. I plan to charge a small fee by the minute to help offset the cost of the printer. Will the Glowforge be able to track multiple users cut time on the same printer? Ideally I would like to see an option in your native soft wear that allows you to charge individual uses a small fee for using the Glowforge by the minute, but if this is not the case I need to know if users cut time is trackable and available for export. Thanks

Welcome to the forum @ben.scholtens What a good question. Certainly metrics on each job will be recorded, but how is a good question. What file format and such for an export of all the time and settings for a job. Heck, even packet throughout could figure in for a cost analysis.

1 Like

No, we don’t have any such features planned for launch, but it’s a great feature suggestion and will go in the feature hopper.

4 Likes