Window Cracked

I believe my printer head window is cracked. I have just a couple more orders that need to be fulfilled. Could I still cut and just change the settings while I wait for the window to come back in stock?

My guess would be that it will drastically affect the focus.

2 Likes

It may also redirect the beam inside the head which would cause further damage. If I were you I would wait to hear from support.

2 Likes

What would cause this?

When the lens is not cleaned the Laser heats the stuff on the lens instead of letting it pass through, And you end up lasering the window.

You need to sign up here as they are out at the moment

3 Likes

I would not run your machine. Wait to hear back from glowforge. By posting in hear you have opened a “ticket” for suppport. Be patient and they should get to you shortly.

3 Likes

Well the laser beam has to be directed through that lens right? Anything on the lens such as dirt or a crack can cause a deflection in the beam. That deflection might touch an area inside the head it is not supposed to come into contact with.

Definitely not touching it until its fixed lol. Just need to find a small table top one to get me through these few orders.

2 Likes

Better safe than sorry. Good luck.

1 Like

Hello @bankstonmary,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I sincerely apologize for the delay in getting a response to you.

We should absolutely replace that window. Before we order a replacement, I’d like to check the rest of your optics to make sure there is not other damage. Could you do the following for me?

Please send photos of all your cleaned optical components, with special attention to any damage you might find:

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head
  • The bottom of the printer head

Once I have those pictures, I’ll follow up with next steps. Thank you!

I see you’ve already emailed us and we’ve just followed up there.

We’ll continue to work on this through email, so this post will be closed.