Wish to return unit, not what was expected

I would like to return my Glowforge for a refund.
This machine was purchased to start a pet memorial service and has not proven itself worthy. Engravings in natural stone are not ideal enough for customer satisfaction. As in any business customer service and satisfaction always come first. I do hope Glowforge believes this and plans on doing the right thing. Thank You!

1 Like
  1. Refunds. Refunds may take up to 10 business days to process. All refunds are in US dollars. If you are located in the United States, returns are subject to the following conditions:
  • Prior to confirmation of shipping address: You will receive a full refund for your purchase price, including shipping.
  • Unopened Glowforge Basic, Plus, Pro, or air filter package(s) within 30 days of shipment with its original receipt: You will receive a refund for your purchase price, less shipping and a 10% restocking fee.
  • Opened Glowforge Basic, Plus, or Pro unit, unused, within 30 days of shipment with its original receipt, with all original materials and packaging, undamaged: You will receive a refund for your purchase price, less shipping and a 15% restocking fee.
  • Opened Glowforge Basic, Plus, or Pro, unit used up to 50 prints, no visible wear or damage, within 30 days of shipment with its original receipt, with all original packaging and materials except the Proofgrade Materials, undamaged: You will receive a refund for your purchase price, less shipping and a 30% restocking and refurbishment fee.
  • Opened air filter package, used or unused, within 30 days of shipment with its original receipt, with all original materials and packaging, undamaged: You will receive a refund for your purchase price, less shipping and a 30% restocking fee.
  • After 30 days or 50 prints, whichever comes first, your Glowforge Basic, Plus, or Pro unit is no longer eligible for return
  • After 30 days your air filter unit is no longer eligible for return.
6 Likes

Are you telling me I am stuck with this machine forever?

No, he’s just listing the parts of the Terms of Service that apply to returns.

As far as keeping it, if you are past the 30 day return window, a few folks have decided to sell them if they turned out to not be the right machine for them.

Usually quite successfully if they have been maintained in good condition.

5 Likes

These are not the times where someone has $4000.00 cash to just fork over to buy a Glowforge. Everyone is penny pinching these days and I don’t see it getting better any time soon to sell my unit.

I’ve sold two lasers during this time - one for $16k cash and another for $14k cash. People are definitely spending money.

3 Likes

As far as the engravings, it can take a bit of work to learn it and get consistent results, but it’s definitely doable.

8 Likes

You might be surprised. A lot of folks are making the decision to step off into their own business, maybe because their restaurant or hair salon was locked down into oblivion.

I’d definitely try to sell it locally first…maybe Craig’s List.

Or…maybe you just need to try a different kind of stone. We’ve gotten really good results with slate and of course, tiles from any hardware store. Scads of examples of some really great pet memorials here on the forum.

4 Likes

That is a beautiful pet memorial. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks! The other cats jump up there and knock it down every few months, so sister gets to reassemble it frequently :joy:

3 Likes

Don’t know how it would work on the material, but my daughter loves puzzles and has some great ones framed and used puzzle glue on them. Might try it to see, that way when the cats knock it over she doesn’t have to put it back together.

2 Likes

Glowforge has a 2 month backlog of orders for their machines right now, the longest in history AFAIK. More people are buying now than ever, and they just got another stimulus check and there might be more coming, which is going to cause another wave of home business investing.

There are many people making pet memorials with Glowforges with great results. Perhaps you’re not buying a good substrate to engrave on, or not investing enough time in editing the photos prior to engraving them? There are great recommendations for materials and photo editing help in these forums and in the Glowforge Support site.

I like the black granite tile sold by Johnsons Plastics. Check out their sample photo:

https://www.jpplus.com/black-granite-rectangular-tiles

7 Likes

Actually, with so many people staying home, maker equipment and supplies are hard to keep in stock and it’s all but impossible to get some equipment. I think you’d be surprised how many people are looking to buy expensive stuff, and it might be worth a shot trying to sell it.

1 Like

Any chance we could see a photo of one of the results? Just curious if there could be a setting or processing step that might be holding you back from the results you wanted.

1 Like

Purdy!

I’m so sorry that your Glowforge isn’t working well for you. I’m going to continue this over email as we will need to collect personally identifying information and next steps for returning your Glowforge.