Wont auto focus, "Error has occurred on your GF"

I have been having issues cutting all the way thru the past 2 days and today I realize I kept getting the non stop “An error has occurred on your glowforge” error. I also noticed when I try to auto focus, it isnt doing it, and it wont let me print until I select a material or type in a number (before after I auto focus it would let you print).

So I am fairly certain that the machine is not auto focusing anymore for some reason, which is also why it isnt cutting thru and ruining my projects. Settings that I have been using for months now wont cut thru, and I have cleaned this machine over and over again the past few days. The windows are clean, the lenses are clean, nothing is working and I cant get the error to stop popping up.
I have lots of christmas orders + a huge coporate order and this is no good!!

1 Like

So, to be clear:

1. Auto focus is what happens AFTER you click “print,” if you haven’t used the Set Focus tool.

2. You can’t print without selecting a material or adding print settings and providing a material height (Set Focus is one way of providing the height value).

So it sounds to me like Set Focus isn’t working for you? What makes you think it isn’t working? Do you see a red dot after you’ve clicked it? Does the view change on your screen? Is there a specific “set focus” error?

Check the two small windows on the bottom of your print head, one on either side of the lens opening. If they get fogged up, the machine can’t focus properly.

1 Like

As I mentioned above, the reason I think it isnt working is that it wont let me print by doing set focus, / auto focus, and all of my cuts are not going all the way thru on the settings Ive used for months now. And everything is clean I have cleaned everything multiple times every day these past few days. Fans, lenses etc. I also stated the windows are clean.
And every time I try to click “set focus” is when that Error pops up

It could not be the auto focus, but I am just deducing what else it could be from the problems I am having. When I set focus, the image doesnt change like it usually does because it focused

I am having the same issue. While I am waiting for support to figure it out I am totally ignoring the set focus feature, and am putting the thickness of the material manually and that helps a lot with settings and am being able to keep printing. Try doing that in the meantime. But if your having the same problem as me, passthrough probably doesn’t work for you either :frowning:

Did you clean the two small windows on either side of the lens hole on the bottom of the printer head? Those are critical to the Set Focus function.

If those look okay, you might want to check the white ribbon cable connection too, and check the pins.

check, check, pins?

Two places…there are pins inside where the white ribbon cable attaches (Have to disconnect it to look at them…be careful not to bend them or break the little plastic tab on the ribbon connector when you take it off.) And those little spring loaded pins on the bottom of the head need to make good contact with the plates on the carriage.

Not sure if either would affect it, but I’d check both.

am I going to get an official reply from the company? This is really concerning me I have checked everything that I can think of

Hello @whickmant,

I’m sorry to hear your Glowforge is having some focusing trouble. It looks like @geek2nurse and @Jules are on the right track.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate, and it looks like your Glowforge is having trouble communicating with the printer head. There are two key connections I’d like you to check for me.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.
  3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.
  4. Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.
  5. Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until you feel it click securely back in place.
  6. As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.
  7. Pull the laser arm all the way forward.
  8. Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:
  9. Take a photo of the circuit board, please use flash for this photo. If the cable I’ve indicated above with the red arrow appears to be loose, please reconnect it and try printing again. This cable should ‘click’ back into place.
  10. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  11. Send us the photos you took in step 4 and step 9.

Once we have the photos, we’ll review and follow up with next steps. Thank you!

1 Like

Everything seems connected, although gunky (which I never understood why these wires and motherboard are exposed… You can’t clean a mobo)

Also, I just tried to cut the “GGM” on medium PG draft and it didnt cut all the way thru either

Any update?

Hi @whickmant,

Thank you for posting those photos for me. I can see in the logs from your unit that your Autofocuser is having trouble. Since everything in the photos looks as expected, that means this is an issue we won’t be able resolve remotely, and we will need to make a warranty replacement of your Glowforge.

To get the process started we will need to confirm some personal information, so I’m going to send you the details via email. I see that you also opened an email ticket with us for this issue, so I will send you the details on that ticket.

You should receive the email shortly, but if you don’t receive it in the next 30 minutes please check your spam / junk mail folder. Once I know you’ve received my email, I’ll close this thread.

Can I get someone to call me or instant chat or something?
I got one email 24 hours ago and nothing since. I need faster support than 24 hour replies I have a broken machine that shouldn’t be and we are 1 week from Christmas. Thank you!!

24 hr responses during December holidays is really good. May not work for you but it was nearly weeks last year and the year before.

I’m glad they’ve gotten this fast.

I am having the same exact issues. I will upload my photos as well

FYI: The company will not work you P&S issue unless you make your own separate post in the P&S category, or email directly.

Thank you I will post a new thread

@whickmant I see that you received the email that was sent and we’re working with you there now. I’m going to close this thread.