Won't load full sheet of design or even 1/2 sheet

Trying to cut out a sheet of patches from leatherette. I’ve cut them with the same settings before but only done them one at a time which is obviously not ideal. This time I created a file with a full sheet and it wouldn’t even upload. Created a 1/2 page and it wouldn’t upload. Created a 1/4 page and it uploaded but won’t finish preparing to print. How do I get it to load a full or even 1/2 sheet to print so that I don’t waste material and time???

If the engrave artwork is all vectors, rasterizing that layer will greatly reduce the processing needed for the job.

2 Likes

Should I do that in Illustrator or in the Glowforge app somehow?

do it in illustrator

1 Like

The GF app won’t convert vectors to rasters – you’ll need to use Illustrator or another vector-editing app to rasterize that part. Be sure to leave the cut lines as vectors, though.

ok I did that but now I can’t see my saved settings for leatherette. How do I access my previous settings?

The saved settings show up based on the command. So if you saved them as a cut, they’ll show up when you select a cut command - engrave/engrave - score/score. That’s the only limitation on those

I selected Engrave as before and they aren’t there. I ended up opening the old vector file again and writing down the settings to re-enter them. Should I be using HD Graphic on the raster?

Engrave Raster and Engrave Vector settings are saved separately. Because your previous settings were for Vector engraves, this is why they didn’t show up. If you save those settings with a Raster engrave you will have them for either situation.

Will do that now. Anyone know if there should be a difference in speed between vector and raster settings?

And recommend if you’ve already uploaded the revised group, “ignoring” this multi-item design at first, place a single patch design (rasterized as the big file) where it won’t overlap with the big file, and test the new settings on just the one. If it comes out as you like, then remove that and then do the large file. Would really suck to find out something’s not quite right yet!

As long as the raster is black and you use vary power, there should be no difference.

I was using convert to dots. Will vary power be faster if it’s solid sections?

Also, are there tutorials on this kind of stuff out there? I feel like this wasn’t covered in the starter projects.

There is actually considerable difference as the image will always have a pixel edge and not be as sharp as a vector edge. Also instead of making a whole sheet in Illustrator, make one item in Illustrator, and then copy /paste them in the GFUI.

If they are all in line horizontally (and engraved vectors) the engrave will do the entire horizontal line at once. If they are rasters, it will do one raster at a time. If you have copy/pasted too many to do the job just delete one at a time till it works and work from there.

I wondered this. It seems silly to degrade the quality of the design to get it to print??

1 Like

If you make your raster at a high enough DPI there will be no noticeable difference between the two engravings.

Convert to dots is primarily for photorealistic engravings. Vary power will be most like a vector engrave if that is the look you are going for. As far as speed, that highly dependent upon LPI. There is a matrix of tutorials put together by members of this community. @Jules can probably hook you up with those links.

1 Like

I’m looking at about 1.5 hours for 6 patches right now. (On a basic) Does that seem to be in line with what I should expect? If so, how do you guys price things out for other customers? This is an order of 60 patches I’m doing for someone and it will take me days it seems.

There will still be a big difference in how the Glowforge cuts. Especially as Copy/Pasted rasters are done one at a time and vector engraved are done all at once. They all can use the higher speeds but only the rasters can use the expanded edges.

For myself I only use the variable power engrave when doing actual relief carving.

1 Like

You may also find there is no easily discernible difference between (for example) 150lpi and 300lpi - but that will make a significant difference in time to cut. I would run a sample page with each one loaded separately so you can set the first to your original vector, the 2nd to the raster at a low lpi, a 3rd to a medium lpi, a 4th with vary power, a 5th with dots, etc. and note which is which and the time to cut each (just send them to print separately and note the times. Then decide between style/time which ones works out the best for your client.
Once you’ve settled on your best option you should be able to easily send ~24 of them to print at the same time (based on the space they take up in the image you first posted). Either by making them all one large raster with vector cuts or uploading one copy that solely vector and copy/pasting it within the GFUI (since it seemed to have issues with your large vector file)

1 Like