It looks like a few have been having an issue with the centering step. My GF was working fine on Tuesday, then as of yesterday early afternoon, it would get stuck on centering and the arm does not move at all.
I was on here for hours looking at past forums and doing all steps to hopefully resolve the issue.
Cleaned the whole machine, tried to recalibrate, etc.
GF closes the forum once they notice they have been notified but never post any kind of response with a solution, has anyone had luck with something else? or what was GF support’s response to you?
I am desperately needing this fixed as I have a rush order to fulfill for a high profile client (of course!)
Thanks in advanced,
Although “Stuck in Centering” looks the same to the customers, it can be caused by a bunch of different things, and it’s easier for Glowforge to analyze it individually by looking at the machine logs than it is for us to do it. So that’s why they don’t post solutions here. It can make things worse if the customers get the wrong “cause” and start trying to fix it without knowing what’s causing it.
If you want to start running through a process of elimination while you wait to hear from them, we can do that here on the forum, but we might not find the issue, and you might still need to hear from them.
First thing to check and eliminate is Wifi issues.
- Turn off the machine. Turn off the computer. Unplug the router.
- Wait a couple minutes.
- Plug the router back in and let it fully start up.
- Turn on the computer and let it fully start up.
- Turn on the Glowforge and let it complete the startup calibration.
- Then open the app.glowforge.com and check the status for “Ready”.
Second thing to check for is visibility issues.
- Make sure the lid camera lens is clean.
- Make sure the glowforge logo on top of the head is clean and clearly visible.
- Make sure there is no glare on the machine from a sunny window.
Third thing to check is cable connections.
- Check the connection on the white ribbon in the laser arm. Make sure it is fully inserted and the pins are in good shape.
- Check all of the ribbon cable connections in the lid. The connectors need to be fully closed.
- There has been a fairly recent problem with how a ribbon cable was installed on a batch of machines, and opening the lid all the way upright can cause wear on it and break the wires inside prematurely. That can be replaced but you’re going to need to hear from support for that…I think they can look at the logs to see it, and they’ll get you a new cable, which should eliminate the problem.
If it’s the last issue, turnaround is going to be from several days to a week or so, so you might need to give a head’s up to your client that there could be a delay. But check the other issues that you can first…it might be one of those and then you can get back to it.
Thank you so much for the detailed input, I truly appreciate it. I did do all of these things yesterday but I will go through that list once more just to be certain.
Thanks so much for chiming in, @Jules, that’s right
As @Jules mentioned, could you please follow the steps below to check the lid connections?
Turn off your unit.
Open the lid.
Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.
There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.
If any of the clips are open, ensure the cable is inserted straight into the clip and close the clip.
If any of the cables are misaligned in the clip, take a photo of the clip and cable and send it to me so I can take a look before you proceed. Do not try to adjust or reseat the cable.
Close the lid.
Turn your unit back on and wait for it to calibrate.
Let me know how it goes!
I actually had Camilo reach out to me with the same message. I followed instructions (no activity) and sent photos-have not received a response. The clips seem to be in excellent condition to me. The ribbon wire lays flat and they don’t move at all, same as the clips.
Thanks for letting me know! Since you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, I’m going to close this topic.