Won't recognize material

So I just brought my GF home, since I can’t use it at school with no Filter. I got it all hooked up ok, but it won’t recognize the PG material I have in the machine. Looks very blurry. I have restarted and rescanned a few times with no luck. HELP!!

1 Like

Just use the material menu in the upper left and you’re in business.

Once you have PG scraps, they won’t even have a barcode anyway!

5 Likes

Did you clean the camera?

3 Likes

clean the camera, make sure everything is seated securely, and then run the calibration…

2 Likes

YEs I cleaned the camera. Something is weird because everything is o ut of focus, and the art that I created comes out BIGGER than I created it.

I will look into calibration. Never done it.

Check the dpi settings in your design program. A lot of them use 72 dpi by default, and the GFUI expects 96 dpi.

I am using inkscape, which I believe defaults to 96dpi

I had to change my Inkscape default to 96 dpi when I started out.

2 Likes

I’m not sure which of these cured it for me, but I’m using Affinity Designer and was having the same problem over the weekend. I designed something and when brought into the GFUI, it was much larger (by about 2 actual inches).

I set the document size to be 20x12"
I set the dpi to 96
I did the calibration

Then, it was spot on.
Then, my Glowforge got stuck in a “calibrating” loop and support said it was probably the lid cable. They’re sending me another one.

I would try the new calibration and see if that helps. Only took my machine about 17 min to complete.

2 Likes

here is a screen shot.

3 Likes

I’m sorry you hit a snag. I extracted the logs to look into why Proofgrade wasn’t recognized, and it looks like there was a very bright light shining into your Glowforge during that time. If the app has trouble recognizing your material again, would you try reducing the direct light overhead and see if that helps?

As for the scaling issue, it looks like you started another topic related to that issue. I’ll follow up there.

3 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.