Won't shut off

I turned on the GF tonight for a quick job. It was non-PG wood veneer, fairly simple, 5 copies of a 4x6 square, only took a few seconds.

When it finished cutting, the head just sat there with the white light still steady. After about a minute, I became concerned and opened the lid. There was no reaction. The laser wasn’t firing, but it just sat in the same position, fan operating and the white light still lit. Closed and opened again to no effect. After about another minute, the head moved to the home position and eventually the fan shifted to a lower speed, but still not to the normal standby status. The light did go out.

Reset the power and ran another job. This time, the GF acted normal and fully shut off when the lid was opened.

I was going to ask if this is normal, but I know it isn’t. I guess the better question is whether there is any problem I should be concerned about?

1 Like

Thank you so much for the details. We are looking into it now. As soon as we have more information we’ll update this thread.

@shollg - We need more information to investigate. Can you please follow these steps?

1. Reboot your Glowforge once more and wait until all motion has stopped for 30 seconds
  2. Hold down the button on your Glowforge for ten seconds, until it glows with a teal color
  3. Your Glowforge is now broadcasting a temporary Wi-Fi access point. Connect your computer to “Glowforge XXX-XXX” (from your Wi-Fi Settings)
  4. Visit the following URL in your browser: http://192.168.192.1:3000/logs/zip
  5. A .zip file should download to your computer
  6. Reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network and email the .zip file to support@glowforge.com

I had that happen once. Just once. Months ago. Never did it again.

@shollg Thanks for emailing us those logs.

I’m glad to hear the problem hasn’t happened again since you sent them in.

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, please post a new topic.

Thanks for letting us know about this!