Wood Species Catalog Samples

Cool idea! I could use this in my Woodshop sometimes

1 Like

Just added some more. Just resawed the rainbow poplar out of a pallet down to 1/8" for the Glowforge.

3 Likes

Those are a great idea, the only thing I’d suggest if you get other scraps, is perhaps doing “burn samples” with them. So you can see how the wood reacts with X Speed/Power combinations.

3 Likes

Found five more resawed down to 1/8".

5 Likes

Nice collection of wood!

3 Likes

Nice. Here’s a source if you want more.

3 Likes

Here are some more catalog samples. Think I’m up to around 35 different ones, and a lot more to do.

5 Likes

great! I’m just getting into these woods, and these will be very useful.

2 Likes

A couple of interesting things first and least interesting it is Cocobolo that is the relevant wood there, but there is great confusion over the name Jatoba called “stinktoe” as fruit and a tree legume getting confused with Jabuticaba called “Brazil Cherry” as fruit so when the wood is sold I do not know which it actually is.

Here is what I do know. Wild Jabuticaba tastes roughly like eating your car tire, While cultured varieties are totally amazing and delicious very similar to cherries but do keep that car tire aftertaste a bit depending on the tree it comes from (I have eaten them so actually know). The other thing that makes Jabuticaba stand out is that the final branches are too fine to hold any fruit so all the fruit grows on the trunk like it was some sort of party decoration. Durian and Jackfruit also do this but they are among the heaviest fruits in the world, while Jabuticaba is the size of cherries but more spherical and blue-black.

The key point from the point of the wood is that it is extremely slow-growing and so has excellent wood properties and I suspect from what you can see of the fruit nodes would have very interesting grain.

The problem is that Jatoba is often sold as Brazillian Cherry as that certainly sounds better than Stinktoe, but of course, being a Legume the fruit is a bean shape while a nice wood in its own right, not Jabuticaba.

3 Likes