Wood treating and lasering

I’m curious if anyone has any suggestions for lacquer or shellac products that are better than any others? Or some that might work better with certain wood genus than other? I haven’t done a lot of wood staining, so I’d like to hear what sort of results people achieved with what they had on hand…

3 Likes

If you plan on using any type of additional finish, or plan to glue pieces together, then you definitely want to use a “de-waxed” shellac. Zinsser SealCoat is a great choice as almost anything else will adhere to it. I would still think of masking or sanding areas where adhesive is to be applied.

7 Likes

I was thinking about a project the other the would involve painting the wood first and then etch the design after.
Does anybody know if there is any paints i should not use due to the gases it might give off?

1 Like

I did just that with this

Using acrylic paint. Air assist is your friend.

17 Likes

Even with Acrylic paints, you want a good air filter on the laser – heavy metals converted to dust are still unhealthy, and some organic pigments burn to form toxic chemicals.

If you don’t know what pigments are in the paint - just assume they shouldn’t be breathed after burning.
If you do know what pigments are in your paint - then you probably know this safety stuff anyway.

4 Likes

“Shellac” can be a generic term, but natural shellac, which is basically a boozy cocktail made with bug poop, is all natural and inherently laser safe (if a bit unappetizing). It’s also known as confectioners’ glaze, and it’s what makes Whoppers candy shiny. Mmm!

30 Likes

Could have gone all my life without knowing that! :confounded::smile:

13 Likes

Uh… Thanks, Dan? :unamused:

4 Likes

Yep, I think that’s gonna be it for Whoppers. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

Mmm bug poop…lol
My son can not have artificial colors and one of the natural reds is made from crushed up little red bugs. Commonly refered to as carmine, cochineal extract or natural red 4.
I’d rather eat a bug than the alternative. Many artificial colors are derived from coal or are petroleum based…

13 Likes

And this is why I refuse to wear lipstick. :laughing:

5 Likes

Knew where shellac came from, but candy glaze? Almost everything I read on the internet is fact checked before committing it to the brain vault. Very un-trusting when it comes to social media. But this one passes the smell test (pun intended). Just one of the many respected confirmations…

Also known as Beetlejuice.

11 Likes

I’m so glad I wasn’t sitting here eating Whoppers when I read that. One of my favorite movie snacks. I may pass on them tonight at Rogue One, give myself sometime to forget. But then again, I’ve enjoyed the bug poop this long, why kick the habit :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Hey, it’s not really poop. More like really hard beeswax.

4 Likes

buzzkill :grinning:

4 Likes

I was just getting used to the “bug poop” idea so I can use it to gross out my boys and their friends. Don’t ruin it for me now! :smile:

4 Likes

Buy them some flavored crickets!! My son got some for Christmas and he was like I’ll try them and love them.

4 Likes

Agreed, not poop (i.e. digested food). But still pretty gross:

“Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. It is processed and sold as dry flakes (pictured) and dissolved in ethanol to make liquid shellac, which is used as a brush-on colorant, food glaze and wood finish.”

7 Likes

Guess it depends on your definition of poop. Food in = something out. Which orifice used is just a matter of taste. (pun intended; again)

11 Likes

Speaking of taste, I love the secretions of an animal that throws its food up and re-digests it, especially when those secretions have been partially eaten by a bunch of bacteria…

5 Likes