Wooden claymore two handed sword

Waiting for you to attempt a samurai sword :slight_smile: having a wood inlay for the hamon line down the blade would look pretty amazing i think.

4 Likes

Or humming bird. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So, my problem right now is materials, I’m out of long plywood. I suppose I could go with a wakizashi, but I really wanted to make an Odachi, and that’s going to have to wait. Katanas and Ninja-tos will be really easy designs to make, I’ll probably spend more time on the tsuba than anything else.

Also, I looked at silk wrapping a katana handle, it’s no joke! Would take a lot of work to get it right.

My theory on hamon line is to take a contrasting veneer and cut it to be the same blade profile, and glue it to the surface, and then sand it away. I may well have been googling yellowheart veneers for this purpose.

In hindsight, maybe the thing to do is glue the veneer to the ply and cut the entire thing in one go.

My local supplier of BB ply does delivery but there’s a significant charge. I suppose I could gear up for quarantine expeditions and be careful, but I’m not there yet.

I also have a 6’ Zweihander in the pipeline (again no plywood), and I already made a matching Dirk to go with this claymore, it’s currently drying its first coat of polyurethane. I’ll post that in a day or three.

5 Likes

Presume no longer, I updated the OP. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is really awesome!!! Now I want one! LOL

3 Likes

I’ve been planning a tanto because you got my wheels turning. I was planning on using a board of burl maple and cutting out the hamon line from that board and inlaying some contrasting wood like aromatic cedar or something of that sort. with a tanto normally being around 12" it would be a good size format to test it out at least and fit nicely on the bed. Haven’t gone down the rabbit hole that is silk wrapping but that is next on the list of things to do. was planning on using some basic sewing thread instead tho.

2 Likes

Youtube has a ton of info, it’s involved to get it right.

I was looking at making a Hattori Hanso blade, then I saw how difficult it is to do it correctly.

3 Likes

That is so awe inspiring! This makes me want to start one tonight!
As some of you know, I’m a very active member of my Scottish Clan Society, and this would make an awesome presentation award…

2 Likes

It looks amazing!

1 Like

That must have required hours of dedicated careful sanding! Great result!

1 Like

That is outfarkinstanding!

1 Like

So awesome. The handle is really great too.

1 Like

Niiiiiiice!!!

1 Like

It’s makers like y’all that give me hope… :grin:

2 Likes

Lovely. I particularly like that inlay.

1 Like

That is a beauty! The detailing is inspired.

I also love the-sword-in-the-vise. "Whoso pulleth out this sword from this vise, is right wise King born of all the lawn.”

3 Likes

I saw something similar when I was at the Globe Theater in England … they had swords (hand and a half, IIRC) as well as daggers etc. all made from red oak but the correct length, width etc. I always wanted to make similar accurate replicas from wood and now I can with the GF! Didn’t even think of it until @evansd2 created this post … Thanks bro!!! You using the pass through slot to cut the length (is it OK to ask that…?).

Sure is, I will happily discuss technique! This is a passthrough project, and it has all the issues that go with using the passthrough… it’s not always smooth. Even with my best alignment technique I still have very small imperfections, though they are really minor and not really noticeable unless you know where and what to look for. Sanding hides a lot of sins!

3 Likes

Amen brother!! Sanding and paint :slight_smile: It is like my leather work, I can always see where I “messed up,” but others can never see it unless I take a lot of time to point it out and explain why it is a “mistake” :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a fantastic piece. Love all the details.

1 Like