Wooden kopis-style short sword

Cutpurse? I think you’re underselling me. I go by Assassin’s Kiss for a reason.

This is part of a three sword (so far) series that I’ve explored, a 26" LOA shortsword. I’m not going to get into process details, We’ve covered them a lot on the forum. Instead I’ll list a series of skills that you will need and you can search for them.

Things you’ll need to know:

• Passthrough technique
  • Kerf Adjustment
  • Cutting and scoring techniques

Things it is good to know:

• Wood staining
  • Wood finishing
  • Edge sanding/shaping techniques [search for my layered round boxes, I talk about it at length]
  • A functional knowledge of your Agrippa.

Materials:

• 1/8" baltic birch blade
  • 1/8" wenge scales
  • 1/4" mahogany pins (dowels)
  • Wood glue
  • Wood stain (optional)
  • Wood finish (I used wipe on satin polyurethane

Tools:

• A belt sander is really nice to have for shaping the blade. It will save you so much time.
  • Hand sanding block is basically a requirement
  • A bench vise or a clever clamping solution (Far harder to try to hold this while you do detail sanding. A vise really helps)
  • Clamps. Lots of clamps. You’ll glue a lot of parts together, but the blade is two layers of 1/8" ply thick, and that requires a lot of clamps to keep it together while the glue sets.

So, this is post 3, here’s your banana-scaled family portrait.

The two-hander is so huge, it’s hilarious :wink:

36 Likes

The series looks great!

What did you end up using for the dowels to hold the handle halves in place? More wenge bits?

2 Likes

Aha, right, forgot that. They’re mahogany. The scales are actually wenge/veneer/wenge, the veneer is an unknown species but I suspect a mahogany. I should take a side view.

1 Like

19 Likes

That is actually more layers than I expected, but I am not surprised :slight_smile:

I really like how the wood grains display and you made a great selection no species to use.

:clap:

3 Likes

So it’s 2 layers of BB for the blade (which extends down the entire handle), 4 for the scales plus two thick-ish veneers. Total thickness… gets calipers… 0.76". I almost went with 2 more layers, but the person it’s for has smaller hands, so I figured this would work nicely.

1 Like

Outfknstanding! Great work.

2 Likes

Oohh, really, really like this one. So awesome.

2 Likes

Can’t decide which is my favorite, these are all so awesome!

2 Likes

Wow. They look great! (Those bananas look pretty tasty too.)

3 Likes

Very 300ish… I like. :slight_smile:

#ForgedInLaser

2 Likes

So appealing to my inner 8 year old! Okay, let’s be real, the older me, too.

3 Likes

Inconceivable!

11 Likes

Dang. I love this so much. I keep coming back to look at it again. <3

3 Likes

Yeah, that handle…

2 Likes

Beautiful!

Are the blades multiple layers as well?

2 Likes

Yup!

Since it’s two layers of 1/8" baltic, that’s six layers of wood in total. You can see them pretty clearly in the pictures of the handle:

With the two handed sword it’s even more, three layers of 1/8" ply, which means 9 total layers of wood for that one. The blades are pretty strong with 2 layers at the short sword size, and might even be ok at longsword length,but I decided I would rather it be overkill than underkill if that’s a word.

2 Likes

Outside the box for you, but you are definitely on point! Excellent work!

2 Likes

Heh, not really. I’m a bit of a D&D geek, you see. If you dig around you can find more evidence: dice trays, dice towers, hero boxes, all that.

Swords were a natural next step… I have plans for more stuff like this too, more as it materializes.

2 Likes

You have shown a lot of exceptional work, we enjoy it all!

1 Like