I might be obsessed with word clocks.
After making the small square “grid” version, then a big square grid version and several versions of e vertical and horizontal “list” models, I spent some time while on vacation to design a really big square/ grid design based on the max width of the forge. while the face could be done with a single piece and the pass through, for now (mostly due to the short term lack of a big enough piece of wood) I split it in 2 parts (i.e. the pass- through was not utilized). The rest of it was cut without using the pass through as well. I used a string of LED’s rather than a matrix and moved back to using 64 LEDs vs the 256 I used more recently on the “big” version.
As first drafts go, I am happy enough. Still a bit o tweaking to be done (i.e. attaching the back and mounting the control board) The size is just under 19 x 19 inches. The string of LEDs is relatively cheap (about $16 worth of LEDs involved) That said, there is a lot more cutting time on the forge with this and more wood (1/8 Baltic birch plywood) in play. (10.5 sheets of 12 in x 20 in).
The new design is simple and eliminates the clear front and paper layer for the letters. IT retains a paper diffuse-er layer but this is cut by hand. Along the way, I had to update my clock circuit board as I had run out of the original batch. In that process I moved to a newer arduino (trinket M0) which meant that I had to sort out some issues related to the voltage mismatch between the led power (5 v) and arduino driver voltage ( 3 v) . I also had to tweak the code a bit but not too much.
front shots, you can see an older model in the background.
the guts, which will be covered when the back is attached.