Working on the veggie tanned leather from Tandy

Got great feedback for my last question. Now do I need to cover my leather with anything for engraving? Again, thanks in advance
Also best settings please…3-4 oz and 5-6 oz.

1 Like

The term you’re looking for is masking, if you search for “leather masking” you’ll find a ton of threads.

You might also like this one, definitely check out #2 and #6, but I bet you’ll find them all useful:

4 Likes

Use the PG leather settings for engraves, they work beautifully and no testing required. For cuts I use the PG leather settings and then carefully see if the piece cut completely, if it didn’t shut the lid and run the cut a 2nd time (you can even speed it up a bit). Works every time.

I find that I end up cleaning and then conditioning the pieces no matter what so I mask pretty rarely, but it’s totally doable if you’re doing a cut and want an absolutely clean surface - don’t do it for an engrave, it just gets ugly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just ran a test. No masking. Manual setting Engrave 1000 43 225. Came out clean as a whistle
I will check out the PG setting as well.
Thanks. This thing is just stinkin’ Rad!!

6 Likes

Interesting - no marring at all? No smoke residue?

1 Like

I did a piece of untanned leather making a Beatles logo, no masking - clean!

2 Likes

None. Couldn’t be any cleaner. Stoked about it.

2 Likes

same here. I primarily use veg tan leather from Tandy and i almost never use masking. I just scrub the char and smoke residue off the edges and continue with my work. Just picked up some 7-8oz for a set of armor. Gotta get the new setting dialed in for this thicker stuff.

2 Likes

:call_me_hand:t2:

I’ll be the weird person and say that the :proofgrade: settings for engraving leather may or may not be ideal for you. The :proofgrade: settings assume that you need to punch cleanly through a layer of masking and remove any masking residue for the engrave - it results in an engrave that may be deeper than you want. Think about your different grades of leather and the layers they correspond to -

If you’re using a nice full grain leather, the top surface of the leather is the expensive bit that you’re paying for. Personally, I try to preserve as much of that as I can unless I’m doing a project where I’m painting in the engraved area, and I frequently engrave without masking.

I don’t remember the exact settings I used for this project but in general it was both faster and lower power than the default engrave settings -

There is no “one true answer” - you may find different settings are a better fit for different projects (i.e. with light colored dyes, you may be able to use less power than something you’re intending to dye a darker hue.)

When in doubt, experiment, see what you like for your own works. There are plenty of different “right answers” for you to discover :slight_smile:

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.