World in Your Closet

I just finished this excellent design from Jen Schachter. The files are available on Etsy. I can’t wait to put this in my school library!

65 Likes

Narnia! Very nice! Good job! That looks amazing.

4 Likes

That is great! I love it!

3 Likes

Excellent job! I bought her files but haven’t done anything yet. Your piece is so inspirational.

3 Likes

Incredible. That will be a hit in the library.

2 Likes

The cutting did take a bit of time. And I had to adjust Sheet 6 to fit on the GF. But the assembly was really smooth, and the final result was very rewarding. The artist is also releasing assembly videos soon, she tells me, which will make the process even easier. I used PG walnut for the exterior, maple for the main box, a mix of wood for the coats, and acrylic for the snow. I found that with some selective weeding, I could spray paint the lamp and keep the snow and details distinct. I was concerned about the electronics, because I’m new to it, but if you get the supplies Jen recommends, it is super straight-forward. The wiring blocks make it fast and clean. The only soldering I did was for the switch.

5 Likes

I only bought the blank design, so now I have to design something to go in there. I probably should have started with one of her completed designs and worked up to it.

5 Likes

Fun! Will have to look up her shop.

2 Likes

Ooooh. Now I need to visit her shop.

You did a great job on yours!

4 Likes

Ever since I saw those fairy doors I have been keen to make one of these shelf boxes with a door on the backplane.
Now you have me thinking about lighting.

Looks great.

3 Likes

This is just wonderful and magical! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Awesomly inspiring!

2 Likes

Wow! This is amazing! I am reading aloud this book right now! A timely post for me!

1 Like

Nice! I saw her talk about this on Tested: https://youtu.be/Sfhv9EuJ03E

1 Like

Very cool! I saw the video on YouTube of the designer telling about on "Adam Savage’s Tested. Here’s a link…

2 Likes

That’s where I first learned of the project. Then I realized I already knew Jen from We the Builders, which had community-sourced 3D printing for a gigantic Rosie the Riveter sculpture, as well as a bunch of other really cool projects. She’s just released the assembly videos for anyone interested in the project. I made it without instructions, but it will be even easier now.

1 Like