Worx Zip Snip and plenty of cardboard

I’m ready to do some prototyping on cardboard now. A couple of months ago we got a bunch of IKEA furniture and the boxes have been sitting in a corner with the promise of some day being used in the glowforge. But they were huge boxes that we difficult to move or store. I looked online and found the Worx ZipSnip (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019CSHSW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Mc-GybX8SE4TD) for $30 so I ordered one, and tore the boxes apart today.

This thing is awesome if you’re cutting any material that’s not too thick. I haven’t tried it on fabric yet but I expect it’d do just fine.

Part of the original stack. I forgot to take a picture at the beginning, I was too excited to start.

The final stack of cut down cardboard

The ZipSnip

48 Likes

I still need to find a place (more likely a few places) to store these torn down pieces of course. But that’ll be way easier than the massive box scraps would’ve been.

3 Likes

That would make a nice gift idea too! :relaxed:

9 Likes

Totally would. Good idea.

3 Likes

@Jules is dropping hints… :smiley:

8 Likes

Too obvious? Chuckle! :relaxed:

2 Likes

Thanks. I ordered one now. I don’t have as big a stash of cardboard, but did not like laying the cardboard on a cutting board and using a razor knife.

It may be handy for cutting my rolls of HTV and vinyl down when cutting on my Silhouette Cameo. Scissors or a paper splitter work OK, but this could also be good.

I’ve also got some banquet chairs to re-upholster and this should work very well to cut the upholstery vinyl I’ll be using on them.

Thanks for the tip!

8 Likes

Well, add me to the list. I’m going to buy one, too. I marvel at how many tools and devices I’ve never even heard of, or could guess even exist. I have this ‘thing’ about keeping boxes that are really sturdy and I have *ahem…over-collected, you could say. If one could see my old basement side room, they might think I am a hoarder! And, bonuussss…I can use the cardboard in the Glowforge. Win win! Thanks for the heads up!

6 Likes

I just redid my kitchen with Ikea cabinets and have a similar sized pile!

2 Likes

Might be overkill, but my tablesaw will make quick work of cardboard.

3 Likes

Dude! You just cut yourself…get the Worx! ROFL! :smile:

6 Likes

I use my table saw to cut my cardboard. Works great because I set the fence at 12 inches and 20 inches, and viola, I have perfect sheets that stack neatly. :grinning:

2 Likes

Definitely what I’d do if I had a table saw too.

1 Like

You guys are a bad influence. Making me buy things. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

After I patched my finger up, I went back in the shop to finish the project. So yeah, healthy respect for the tools, but not afraid of them.

6 Likes

Cool tool. Just need one with 12x20" guide…

2 Likes

That’s what you get with the table saw.

Or, you know, once you have a Glowforge, you can make a custom fence for your cutter at 12 and 20 inches. It just has to keep the blade a certain distance from a known edge.

1 Like

WOW gang… never once thought about the table saw to cut down the cardboard. DUH. and I’ve been running mine like crazy as I attack 1100 square feet of flooring that I’m installing.

6 Likes

that’s the beauty of group discussion. Someone might just say something that makes everyone go “that’s so simple, why didn’t we think of that before?”

5 Likes

Amazing looking tool. Gotta get me one of those. :smiley:

2 Likes