Wouldn't it be great if GF could

…cut 3 mm thick Stainless Steel?

Our Kiki tool project from Kickstarter is in full production and we snagged some shots of these fresh-off-the-laser parts - thought I’d share:

(Soon to be) finished product:

Just dreaming!

26 Likes

Wont happen in the same price point of the Glowforge…:wink:

1 Like

…hence the ‘just dreaming’ part!

3 Likes

6 Likes

what crazy kind of laser and power does it take for the metal?

1 Like

Just what kind of power does it take?

2 Likes

I like your thinking.

1 Like

I’m sure there is a reason, but it eludes me…
spacing to prevent warping? Seems like a lot of material waste. Also loose piling the blanks like that would tend to mark that nice brushed finish.
Speaking of finish, the cut edges look perfect!

1 Like

“in the hopper”…

:smile:

2 Likes

Holy smokes, that is SOME laser!

Good question - will find out more tomorrow.

They go to a tool grinding shop tomorrow to set the angles on the screwdriver tip and pry bar end (which will probably mess up the nice brushed finish) - back to the cutter after for a FINAL brushed finish then off to the laser marking shop for graphics.

A lot of logistics - not my favorite way to work…

3 Likes

For that thickness, you’d need about a ~500W fiber laser :scream:

9 Likes

Which would easily chop off your hand…lol :confused:

6 Likes

“No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die.”

6 Likes

It’s a 2000W CO2 with a 9’ X 12’ bed… the extra spacing is there to keep the kerfs from welding back together. Pick up has been moved to tomorrow morning - more photos then

5 Likes

How big is that freaking tube!?

How freaking huge given the inefficiency of CO2 lasers must the power bill be. I hear a good number is 20% so 2KW has me thinking it’s a 10KW draw.

2 Likes

Hmmm…that wasn’t his hand in danger of being chopped off :grinning:

3 Likes

I think I want one of these. I have a soft spot for diodes.

1 Like

As promised, here are some shots of the 2000W industrial machine that cut our 3mm stainless parts. The tube is ~8’long and it is located in the upper left hand corner, to the left of the control panel, positioned front to back…

12 Likes