WW II Medal Display Case

maybe it’s because I just don’t normally search for that sort of thing but bing and duckduckgo failed the safe search test, google knew what I wanted even on image search probably since they have all my search history to know what I’m likely after… So what sort of searches have you been doing?

1 Like

Heh…
:grin:
Pure extrapolation. I never actually searched the term.

but being curious, I just searched, and it was pretty benign. A bunch of magazine covers from the 70s by a publication that has nothing to do with phillips-head fasteners, but they didn’t show up until the second or third page of results.

1 Like

well I’m lazier than you. I stopped at either the first eye full or screen full.

Sorry I just saw that you had asked a question on this. My method for the medals was to take a black pen and trace the medals onto a white sheet of paper. Then scan and do a image trace in illustrator. The ribbon portion of the medal was done by measuring when pulled tight. There was also a layer of acrylic with groves cut for the pin portion to sit. So the top would be fixed and the medal would be fixed. This kept everything held tight. I used the same process for the pins, except I trimmed off the posts so they would lay flat. I couldn’t think of a scenario where any of this stuff would every leave the 2 displays so I was willing to modify a few items to make them display cleanly.

Here’s a photo of the second display that I created.

18 Likes

This is a very beautiful display of your grandfather’s awards. I look forward to my Glowforge arriving so that I can make something similar for myself. Great work!

Both are so beautiful! Great job.

wow this is amazing! wish I can find the rest of my grandfathers medals and make something like this for them. He also received that WWII medal and ribbon.