X-Wing Model Kit

Had a ton of fun with this one. Def more pieces (~250) and more work than the Snowspeeder Model Kit. Link to files is HERE although I did modify for a tight kerf and to avoid use of dowels. I still used 1/4" dowels and 3/16" dowels. They are needed for some interior supports and the guns, and I didn’t want to cut out a ton of tiny circles and deal with sanding them so they fit through holes, if that makes sense. I was able to fit everything on (2) 12"x20" sheets of 1/8" BB.
Most of the pieces (I forgot some and had to print about 40 more after this pic):

Some pics of the wings assembly, the file is designed so all 4 wings connect with gears and can open and close. 8 little magnets in the center help to snap them open and shut. At the end, I added 4 more on the edges of the wings to help snap them shut:

Wing assembly with the 1/4" dowels (maybe this helps explain why I didn’t want to GF the dowels:

Opening cockpit (uses a 3/16" dowel):

And final model (pen for scale, didn’t have a banana handy):

UPDATE: I uploaded my modified/remix files on Thingiverse here:

100 Likes

Oh boy, I think you helped me win homeschool today. Thanks for the link, your model came out great!

3 Likes

PM me if you want the files I modified. I don’t want to post them on here since it’s a remix of files on Thingiverse, but happy to share them privately. I modified them to avoid use of more dowels, get them all on 2 sheets of 12"x20" and adjust for a narrow kerf (probably a bit too narrow; in some cases I need to sand a bit or use tiny bar clamps to help fully seat the pieces). Also, I didn’t realize I needed the 4 round magnets in the wings til after completing it so I just drilled holes into the wings (the wing magnet holes aren’t in the files).

6 Likes

Wow, the Force is strong with you!

5 Likes

this. i need this. Love me some Star wars, and have a few things I’m saving to post on Star Wars Day, but this is so cool.

3 Likes

Amazing! Well done!! How long would you say the design work takes?

1 Like

Oh my goodness… that is too awesome for words… I just going to back up and marvel at those pictures again! (and again, and again…)

2 Likes

@pubultrastar same thing of course-pm me if you want the modified files! i should probably just post them on Thingiverse as a remix linked to the original…

@UrJac What do you mean as far as the design work? I used the files from the Thingiverse linked, and mostly just re-scaled and adjusted parts for a tighter kerf for my material, then created new parts (rings and circles) to replace dowels I didn’t want to have to go get.

@bill.m.davis Thanks!

6 Likes

:grin: My mistake; I thought you designed the original and the link was to Your design. Regardless, your adjusted model looks great!

1 Like

Wow, this is really impressive! Well done you!!!

1 Like

Brilliant!

1 Like

Ooooh, love it!

1 Like

So cool!

1 Like

You should do that, and add a “glowforge” tag. Relatively small amount of GF-specific stuff in there.

5 Likes

Thanks! A number of folks have taken me up on the files through PM, so I’ll try to do that tomo.

3 Likes

Wonderful job on this—thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

Thank you for the file. I just wish I had you patience to do this.

1 Like

I can’t express how much I love this. So amazing!

1 Like

Adjusted kerf for proofgrade?

1 Like

Not exactly, I’m using 1/8" baltic birch plywood and I adjusted the kerf for that material. I’m buying mine from Ocooch Hardwoods-really good quality and great prices. They do charge shipping though so I usually try to consolidate my orders to make it worth it.

2 Likes