Xmas present engraved

Played around with this a little on a smaller scale, just finished the full-sized engrave (10”x16”). Very happy with how it came out. Need to clean it up and build a frame for it.

43 Likes

Wow! I’ve not been able to get a photo engrave to look THIS good

1 Like

Test some gloss on a piece of scrap… I think this would look absolutely stunning with a coat of poly or gloss. Looks really good as is of course.

2 Likes

illustrations/cartoons work better than photographs, i think.

7 Likes

Nice clear engrave.

1 Like

that’s on the list to do. going to engrave a square with some light/dark and unengraved so i can see what the effect is with a finish. i need to make sure whatever i use to finish doesn’t darken the light portions too much and lose the contrast.

2 Likes

I’m having a hard time determining if Batman is saying “take my hand,” or a milisecond away from flippin’ me the bird.

Just me?

8 Likes

Haha yeah I was thinking some slight adjustments in a photo editing program could do just that.

1 Like

that’s what makes it perfect, right? it’s both family-friendly and a little eff-------… :wink:

2 Likes

ooh, very nice. Great results on the engraving.

2 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

I flashed on the Joker trying to tell Batman a joke -
“Knock knock”…

(Batman voice) “Come in

Nice work on that, yes, frame worthy!

3 Likes

I did an Elfquest on draftboard. No masking or anything. It came out pretty good (not this good), so it may be true that comics work better.

11 Likes

i’ve found that the details are more forgiving on drawings/cartoons/renderings than photographs.

i work for an architecture firm. we have a ton of beautiful photography, but we also have a lot of incredible renderings that get done before the building is actually built. as well as a bunch of not-quite-as-fancy renderings out of revit and sketchup. the renderings are a lot more forgiving when it comes to printing at lower resolutions than the photos are.

I immediately thought the bird

2 Likes

Looks pretty good to me.

How long did it take to engrave Batman?

2.5 hrs