In my Mustang emblem post, I commented that I couldn’t wait to show you what I was working on next… well this isn’t it… you’ll just have to wait longer!
Actually, I will probably be posting about it this weekend as right now, all my free time to tied up for this craft show on fri and sat in AZ. Hopefully that goes well. But I’m having an issue with my special project and I will be asking you guys for suggestions.
Now, onto the topic at hand… speaking of the craft show, since we’re in Nov, I felt the need to have some Christmas related crafts. I’ve seen some other trees posted on here, so I guess this is my turn. The only issue is that I ran out of just about all of my big sheets of plywood/hardwood. I have 1 walnut left but I didn’t want to use that for this, plus there wasn’t enough. But what I had plenty of was draftboard. I actually have never used it before the other day (testing on my special project) and while I probably wouldn’t use it for crafts I’m selling again, I think it’s ok for this one time.
Without further ado…
I started designing the sign portion with the thought to make it in acrylic with a back plaque (like I did for the Mustang) and the others glued to it and using colored acrylic. Again, I didn’t have everything I needed, so draftboard it was. The tree came next and thought about a minimum way to get it to stay standing. 3 layers of draftboard and a back spine to stop any flex. It’s about 12 1/2 inches tall.
Since it wasn’t in color (with the acrylic) I had to spruce it up a bit by adding the battery powered lights. The bulbs are just a plastic cover for the LEDs in it… so I was able to pull those off, drill holes, glue them in place, and push the LED back into them from the back. So no wires are visible… at least from the front view.
The back on the other hand (because I know you’re curious)…
And I also glued the battery pack on the back as well… it’s not too heavy.