Yellow button, laser bumped

I am experiencing the yellow button issue. The print head repeatedly bumps into the side and makes a jarring sound. I also get the following error in the UI: “Bumped. The laser head experience a bump. Open the lid and check for anything in the way before printing.”

Nothing is in the way. And the thermometer outside the Glowforge reads 76F. I’ve tried power cycling several times without any luck.

Does the laser head not have an endstop? How does it know when it reaches the end?

This laser does not. They opted to use a visual homing algorithm. Have you tried moving the laser head to under the lid camera (with the power off) and then powering the GF up? That has usually helped when the laser would bump the side like it seems to be in your case.

About the temperature, are you using a basic, plus, or pro? The basic is only rated up to 75f last I checked, and I believe the plus is the same while the pro is up to 81.

5 Likes

I have a basic.

Yes, I’ve also tried powering up the GF with the laser head in the middle - no success.

Make sure both the lid camera and top of the head are clean, Make sure there is no bright lights shining on the Glowforge.

Turn the machine off. Move the gantry as far back as possible, pushing on each end so it is parallel. Push the head as far to the left as it easily goes, Close lid and turn on,

If it still does not set up properly, mark the time and take pictures, to show when it is going wrong. Post all here.

3 Likes

and make sure the :glowforge: logo on the top of the laser head is clean - it seems solely decorative, but it’s what the camera uses to identify where the head is!

3 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about the trouble with calibration. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge and have some next troubleshooting steps for you to try. Your Glowforge was able to connect successfully to your network, but it may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. When this is the case, you won’t need to go through Wi-Fi setup again, but you may see an “Offline” message.

The most common solution to Wi-Fi challenges is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t work, we have two more suggestions that often make a big difference:

1. Improve the signal path between your Glowforge and your Wi-Fi access point
    Wi-Fi signals need a clear path. Remove physical barriers, and move devices closer together:
  • Move your Wi-Fi access point up high and make sure it’s in an open space. Avoid locating your Wi-Fi access point on the ground, under a desk, in a cabinet, or in a corner where its signal can be blocked.
  • Relocate your Wi-Fi access point closer to your Glowforge
  • Move your Glowforge closer to your Wi-Fi access point
  • Install a Wi-Fi range extender closer to your Glowforge
  • Run an ethernet cable and install a second Wi-Fi access point next to your Glowforge
  1. Reduce electronic and Wi-Fi interference
    If your unit is near other devices that use Wi-Fi or a large number of electronics, temporarily turn off other electronics and devices in the area.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.