Yellow button…

Hi friends
First time posting here…
I’ve already been in communication with tech support via email, but in between responses, I figured I’d see what y’all have to say if you’ve had this issue…

I will preface with the fact that I recently got a new print head, and everything was working beautifully for 3 days. One print finished, went to do the next and nothing happened, yellow light stayed on.

Support has been wonderful, however I’m very very upset that the solution from the photos: check white ribbon in both locations. The laser head was fine but the other connection seemed loose… thought I fixed it, but I’m afraid that’s not it…

Besides the obvious “check other connections, wipe lenses…” etc…

has ANYONE gotten their machine fixed easily and remotely coming from a yellow button or should I just assume it’s broken…?

Also my FIRST and BIG event is like 10 days away and I’m beyond upset.

It’s completely unnerving when your machine is down! I had a similar thing happen the day after I set up my brand new machine!! Now I’m waiting on a new print head. How long did you have to wait after support diagnosed the problem before you received the new printer head? I hope your problem is easy to fix, and while support was great during chat, I truly wish we could call someone.

Welcome to the community! tech support is likely looking into your logs and can need a few days to determine a solution so hang in there!

I feel you on this! I was beyond upset at myself (not at glowforge) when I had a big order and overlooked the obvious, which is that machines can break and a good business plan is one that plans for this. I bought a second glowforge specifically for the purpose of improving my business plan. Another option is to look into a local maker space and see if they have one you can use.

1 Like

Check also Jo-Ann Fabrics as they sometimes have a Glowforge available to rent time on.

1 Like

How did I not know this?!?!?!?! Jo-Anns is my favorite store. It would be amazing if my local store had them in the store and available to use. Then I can use glowforging as an excuse to go fabric shopping. I can already hear them saying “ma’am, I don’t know if you can put that in there” :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you have a Joann with a GF, go ahead and try to use it.

It’s an amusing experience. No-one in the store has a clue. There is no information online. “Manager” at mine recommends bringing in your own laptop - if you’re a GF owner, you know the only way to print on a machine is to be set up as a user by the admin/“owner” of that one. “That person” is not available.

I ask just for the entertainment value every time I go into my local Joann. It’s disappointing because they’ve obviously invested so much in a fancy display, but zero into education/staffing. By the looks of the inside, I don’t know that it’s ever been used.

Kennesaw, GA - 3 miles from my home:

edit - they can tell you it’s $15/hr.

3 Likes

That is so cool that they have them in store like that! I agree that its likely not getting much use because there is not as much user training there. I need to track one down and check out the in store experience. Do they have some venting system set up or are they using the air filter?

I absolutely would dig through the fabric remnants bin and pick out a few scrap and put them in the GF. Then go back to the bin to pick out a few more based on how the first ones went and just keep repeating that cycle. That would be the ideal way to master fabrics in the GF.

Hi @Casey_EAS. I’m sorry to see that you’re encountering the yellow button on your Glowforge, and haven’t been able to print because of it. I’ll be happy to work with you to get this resolved since I know you have a big event coming.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate, and it looks like the yellow button is appearing because the Glowforge is having trouble communicating with the printer head. I know you mentioned that you have checked the white cable connections already, however I wanted to get a better look at those connections to help troubleshoot this.

Could you please do the following?

1. Turn off your Glowforge.

2. Holding only the finished black surfaces, grasp the printer head as shown. Pull gently up and back to disengage the magnets and remove the head.

3. There is a small tab in the center of the wire ribbon. Push down fully on the tab to release it, and gently pull the wire ribbon plug from the printer head.

4. Take a clear photo of the gold pins inside the printer head where you just unplugged the wire ribbon. It should look like this.

5. Pick up the printer head and wire ribbon. Make sure the tab on the wire ribbon is facing up. Slide the ribbon back into the head until it clicks.

6. As shown, lower the printer head over the metal plate so that it rests next to the two round posts. Then push it gently away from you – you’ll feel a “click” as magnets pull the printer head until it sits snugly atop the metal plate.

7. Pull the laser arm all the way forward.

8. Reach over the laser arm, and to the left of the inside of the unit and you’ll see this circuit board:

9. Try reseating the white cable connection based on the reference image above and take a photo.

10. Turn your Glowforge back on and try a test print.

11. Send us the photos you took in step 4 and step 9.

This is going to help us capture more print data in the log files to help address this. Feel free to post the photos and any results in your next response. Thank you!

Attachments

1 Like

Sorry for the delay on messaging on here, I actually tried to do all of these steps with the print head and ribbon and it did nothing. The final decision was to replace the entire machine. Very unfortunate for me bc I don’t have any cool things made for my event that I have been looking forward to. Regardless of the situation, support and tech have been the absolute best to deal with. If only every single customer support could be so nice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.