Yellow light, stopped after a few minutes

I’ll start researching this in the forums, but thought I would at least post to see if anyone chimes in. Was doing a cut on Maple, with 3 layers. Cut layer finished fine, but stopped a little bit into the score layer. No indication of why on the web interface. The screen just says calibrating. Any insight? Should I just leave it and wait? Scrap this and start over? ( I hate that I have to waste a good sheet of Maple ply)

Yellow generally means check the UI for information. More typically it seems to mean that it’s either hot or cold. What kind of room temps are you working in? Pro or basic?

Pro Model. Room is 69 degrees. The UI just says calibrating. Not sure where else to look.

In the support documentation, it says to try turning it off, waiting 30 seconds, and then turning it back on. That didn’t work. It still says calibrating, and the yellow light is still on. :frowning:

When you turn it back on make sure you move the head under the lid camera first, then turn it on.

Then open a new browser window - don’t close the first one - and load a quick job like a box or line. Then send it to Print, wait until you get the timer and hit cancel. Close that window and the first one should have recovered. Turn off whatever has already been done and send it a new Print and it should line right up with the project on the bed.

4 Likes

If it’s still stuck on calibrating, you might want to start fresh:
(I do this when I get the offline error or get stuck on calibrating - it’s probably overkill, but it usually works to clear the confusing instructions the machine is hung up on.)

1. Log out of the app on all devices.
  2. Turn off the machine and unplug it for a few minutes.
  3. Reboot your computer and your modem and clear the cache on your browser.
  4. Gently move the head underneath the lid camera, then plug the machine back in and turn it on.
  5. Wait until the startup calibration has completed, (it might take up to 15 or 20 minutes), and the head returns to the starting position in the upper left hand corner. (Longer than that and proceed to the next section.)
  6. Then you can log back into the app.

If the status does not show as Ready for your machine in the upper right-hand corner, and it still lists as offline, you can try resetting the network connection by

1. With the machine on, press and hold the Start Print button for ten seconds until it turns teal.
  2. Turn off the machine.
  3. Gently move the head under the lid camera. (Doesn’t have to be perfect, just close.)
  4. Turn the machine back on and let it finish the startup calibration.

Sometimes doing that network reset a couple of times is enough to clear it. As a last resort you can run through the setup again.

Anyway, like I said - it’s a comprehensive checklist. You’ll probably be back online before you get to the end of it.

6 Likes

Thank you. I will give it a shot today and let you know if it works!

1 Like

I did get a response from GlowForge today, and they requested pictures of the pins that connect to the ribbon. I have sent them those, and in the meantime, tried your troubleshooting tips above. So far, the yellow light remains, and nothing has gotten the machine past the calibrating stage. :sob:

Ohhh, sorry! They can see that kind of thing from looking at the metrics. :neutral_face:

Not to worry, they’ll get you fixed up.

Thank you again for your help. It’s difficult to be patient when you have a new toy! An expensive new toy, and a free weekend. I’m sure they’ll get me what I need.

Mike

1 Like

Try working on some designs in the meantime - it’s a productive way to pass the time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yup! No worries, I have other things to do, including working on designs. I need to complete my initial projects, and already have a few coats of Poly on one of them. More fun to be gluing existing projects while the laser is in motion, but will have to wait until next week. I may even build a new stand this weekend based upon the ones I see here on the forum. :wink:

1 Like

They are replacing my unit. I sort of knew that this would be the case, and I’ve started the RMA process. Unfortunately, this is tough for me, since I have MS and am disabled. I will need to get someone to help pack up the old one to return, and also help placing the new one, since I cannot do it on my own. Not sure if you noticed, but the GlowForge is a beast! The process of getting the original one in the house and set up was a monumental task for me. All part of the joys of being a maker. Hopefully, I won’t have to wait too long for a replacement. :slight_smile:

Bummer! Hopefully they’ll get you fixed up quickly and you’ll be back zapping away before you know it. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Any Forgers near you that could give a hand? If you were a CTer, I’d be glad to help a fellow 'forger. Gotta commend you for jumping into this with both feet so to speak.

3 Likes

I can have one of my minions from work help me. Just kidding, I can have one of my co-workers help me pack it up and set up the new one. Just a pain, and frustrating that I’m at the point where I can’t do it myself.

MIke

1 Like

Did they say what happened? This exact thing just happened to mine.

No, they are sending a replacement. I should get it next week. Basically, it wasn’t something that they could troubleshoot remotely, so they are going to swap it out. I suggest opening up a support ticket to get the process moving forward.

Thanks, I did yesterday. I am waiting to hear back.

1 Like

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.