Yellowstone Diorama (Cropped Test Print)

Working on studies for a diorama. This is a multi-layer illustration process. Through quite a bit of trial and error, I’ve been able to print the erosion in detail while achieving various depths. The final will be painted with both acrylic as well as layered with multiple coats of epoxy resin to achieve a likeness. Here is the beginning of the process:

26 Likes

Utterly beautiful.
:heart:

2 Likes

This is fascinating, I hope you post your progress. Even the ‘mistakes’ are useful.

I just completed a project that I did about 4 times–3 times for the trial/error business (learning, lots of learning) and then the final product. Yours looks a couple of orders of magnitude more detailed. It is so cool!

4 Likes

Thank you guys…FYI: The color print is not the final result…this is a reference print :). I am merely hoping to achieve a likeness of this.

3 Likes

I foresee multi-layer colored resin infill… :thinking:

3 Likes

Yessir :). This will take some practice and some test prints/pours before I do the final. This piece will be a bit complex…but I am hoping to achieve a unique end-result.

5 Likes

Interesting. I am looking forward to progress reports and pics.

1 Like

Nice! I’ve set aside the same beautiful pic to work on. It’ll be fun to see what you do with it.

Be sure to show the finished project.

1 Like

will do. I’d added a base color layer of oil paint and poured a thin layer of resin over the top of it…basically layer-painting. I will post progress once that first thin layer of clear resin clears and I add the second layer of color to the diorama…stay tuned :).

8 Likes

Wow, this is getting better by the layer.

5 Likes