Yet Another Venting Question

In that case, and having seeing your diagram you should be fine.

Now I just need to get a hawk for the critters that gets along with shitzus.

1 Like

Everyone wants this. I’m really surprised it hasn’t been implemented, it’s been suggested so many times.

1 Like

Well, progress is being made. Proofgrade materials arrived with only minor damage to the shipping box, but everything inside appears to be fine.

Part of today was spent working on the “surround” for the window well I’ll be venting from. Between the 2 trips to Home Depot for the pressure-treated lumber, and making a bunch of cuts - manual, circular saw, and with other power cutting tools, but the frame is ready to be bolted together, and all the venting is ready. I just need to handle the window pane, and a new cover for the window well.

Here’s what I have so far…

I must say, this project would be much easier with a SuperSized glowforge to cut… though I’,m guessing that pressure-treated lumber would be very bad inside a 'Forge.

As the work progresses, I’ll keep posting pics. (And we haven’t had any more squirrels… but a Coyote did walk through the back yard yesterday…)

3 Likes

We had a bird get stuck inside the bird feeder today. I had to take time out to set it free. :smiling_face:

Apparently the squirrel had levered the top off enough that the bird was able to get inside after the squirrel left but it was unable to squeeze back out.

3 Likes

Well, “Geordi” arrived on Friday (ahead of my anticiapted date) but I had much of the work prepped. We had Theater tickets last night to a modernized version of Jospeh and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, so the laser work had to wait.

Finally finished with the plywood for the window, and the Mag Vent this afternoon, and just cut the founder’s ruler.

I’m getting a bit of the smoke smell, but its not unpleasant (maple proofgrade). I was surprised how much the hose expanded, so I probably need to print the anchor system someone built for theirs.

I’ve also cut out a rubber gasket that I will try around the MagVent to see if that helps any - I imagine it will.

To preserve “Geordi” (my 'Forge). I also created a cover with handle for the MagVent so I can easily detach the hose from the window and easily cover the vent.

The desk / table I am using for the Forge is the Realspace Merido main desk (espresso / silver).
Merido Main Desk.

I also found a very useful type of weatherstrping at Home Depot -“Cord Weatherstrip.” It appears to be molded clay in a series of stranded mini tubes on a roll. It seemed to be very good for sealing the plywood into the window frame. I’ve included a picture below, but the product is: MD Cord Weatherstip.

I’ll post pictures of the final exterior Window Well surround when I can take them tomorrow in the light.

6 Likes

And here are the pictures of the outside venting / egress exit surround.

DSC_0005

6 Likes

Well, after the first few attempts generated a bit of odor in my office, I made a few updates including a booster fan. Seems to have taken care of virtually all of the odor. Here is the new setup.

And even with the booster fan, the shades close almost all of the way.

4 Likes

Nice set-up! For the mag-vent cover, did you just cut the metal with tin snips and then attach a drawer handle?

Actually, I used a 6 inch damper, and clipped off the pieces that pinch the circle. It’s less than $5 at Home Depot. Here’s a link: Damper for cover

I did have to put some washers and a spacer to make sure the bolts with the drawer handle were tight since the plate is obviously thinner than a cabinet drawer.