Yin and Yang

Not what you expected. I mean positive and negative. how many times have you seen art laying in the bed of the laser when you pull your cut?
For the first time, I printed a design from the catalog because it caught my eye. The remnants inspired me.

Catalog design is on the left. I might even prefer the cut-outs. The geometry says waves, and the color (proofgrade florescent blue acrylic) reminds me of the Caribbean in the shallows.
She says “It will catch your hair…” of course she’s right, but beauty suffers.

Taking what would be waste and doing a negative may yield surprising results you never saw coming.

40 Likes

Most of the time! But your example is exceptional. Can’t decide which one I like most.

12 Likes

I take it you manually drilled the holes with a small conventional bit?

9 Likes

Love that wave
Vibe!

5 Likes

Yes, I don’t do much jewelry work anymore but the fully equipped bench comes in very handy often. It was a little tricky because of the small radius of the jump ring, the holes had to be angled upward on each side to accommodate it.

@cynd11 thank you, discovery like that are serendipitous!

@MakerMatthew , me too! That color fits the geometry very well. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Nice note about the angled holes, it isn’t something I would have thought of!

6 Likes

… it would come clear as soon as you put it together, the pieces didn’t hang at the correct angle. It was either that or go with a much larger ring, and visualizing that didn’t do a thing for the aesthetic of the design, at least in my mind’s eye.

5 Likes

Oh cool so it’s kind of a V shape? I bet the fact that it was in a clear acrylic made that a little bit easier.

8 Likes

I’ve done tiny d-rings before – surprising how 1/4" doesn’t seem so thick until you put a ring in a tiny hole :joy_cat:

5 Likes

Yes, the material was easy to work. Trying to find a sweet spot between fragility and being close enough to the end was an issue. We’ll see how well they hold up.

2 Likes

There’s a solution that eluded me… :thinking:

3 Likes

I like them both! I made the ones on the left, and think they’re just a little too large for me. So I prefer the ones on the right! And that color is gorgeous!

4 Likes

Good eye, and nice save on material!

4 Likes

The graceful lines caught my eye. Nice work, Thank you for the fun!

4 Likes

Oh, no, I didn’t design them. I just got them from the catalog and made myself a set! :grin: Sorry about not clarifying that.

2 Likes

You could scale them down just a bit, but might have to beef up the ring they hang from.

2 Likes

I have found that in many cases a loop cut of the same material and glued in place rotated 90 degrees can work as well,

2 Likes