You spin me right round

Made this mini record player the other day. I think it turned out really well. It has a removable record, a movable arm and a sliding switch on the right. I made a dual layer bottom so the top acrylic can tightly click into place for the top cover.

57 Likes

Sorry the photos didn’t upload right away first shot.

Nice. Banana for scale.

2 Likes

Don’t have a banana but can fit in my full extended hand. About 5.25 by 5.25. The record is 4 by 4

2 Likes

This just brought back a flood of memories.

@timjedwards and I have another brother who was nuts about anything that went “round and round” as a toddler. I mean, to the point that he slept with a 10" tape reel, instead of a Teddy bear like normal children. My dad gave him a miniature reel to reel tape recorder (yes, we’re OLD) that had all its innards taken out. He’d plonk it down in front of random family members and make the reels turn, and we were required to sing. Not just sing, but start and stop when he did, sing faster if he spun them faster, and slower if he spun them slower.

You need to make a reel to reel tape recorder next. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That is so cool! Well done!

1 Like

Haha, I love it. Now you need to do a 45 with one of these:

6 Likes

My roommate collects record players. I think he needs one of these in his collection! Very nice work!

3 Likes

Love this.

Pondering - Could you laser something that would actually play?

That’d depend on your definition of “play”. If you mean “a loud scratchy sound that might just barely approximate something discernable” then yeah, you could probably etch something on a piece of plastic and spin it on a record player and get noise out of it. But the results at best would be extremely poor… The size of features on a real phonograph album are much smaller than the GF can manage. And the raster etching process wouldn’t produce very smooth grooves for the needle to follow.

Might be fun to try it and see. But records are Vinyl, as in PVC, so you’d have to laser an acrylic disc instead.

1 Like

OMG this is so adorable :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

Yes! It’s already been done: Listen to the world's first laser-cut wooden record; Radiohead and Velvet Underground carved into maple - The Vinyl Factory

2 Likes

This is absolutely precious. Engrave a few album covers and you have a nice gift to give somebody.

1 Like

I mean, it has to be said:

3 Likes

I adore this! Still a vinyl junkie.

1 Like

My wife worked for a major east coast record retailer in the 80s and 90s. Though we both also started with a decent collection of 1970s and 80s stuff from before we hooked up. We have a record collection that’s literally too big to count. But if I measure it by the foot, we own about 6000 pieces of vinyl, maybe another 1000 CDs. Dinosaurs, nowadays. Though Vinyl is making a comeback. I just saw a story about B&O re-releasing their 4000c turntable design from the 1970s, that has a “tangential” tonearm that runs on a linear rail instead of pivoting. For $11K!

3 Likes

My dad had a double sided record player that accepted records in a slot. It actually could seek tracks by looking for gaps in the grooves. I forget who made that, maybe Teac? Googling.

Hmm came up empty. I’ll have to ask him.

2 Likes

The level of detail on this is phenomenal! Awesome work!

1 Like

Apparently the ADC Accutrac 4000 and a few other brands. But they were standard single side turntables.

2 Likes

Thanks for the memories.

1 Like