Zero Clearance Insert

This is a pretty small project, but I lent my miter saw to a friend, and she had a bit of an accident:

I grabbed my calipers and sketched out a replacement in Fusion 360:

A little bit of baltic birch later:

32 Likes

Nice! 'Tis one of the great things about have this particular tool.

I gotta say, I’m surprised you didn’t add a ruler to it. Not that it’d be terribly helpful, but still… think I would have had to. Because I could.

6 Likes

Literal practical cut.

3 Likes

I like that idea. I wish I’d thought of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Cool! Will be good to remember when I need more inserts for the table saw. And maybe for the router.

1 Like

Fantastic!

Pop it out, jig it up, and ruler away…?

Alternately, cut another? That much baltic is literally pennies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do not have Fusion (yet) so I was hoping I could just drop my insert into the Glowforge tape the end , and have the machine “Trace” it. but it did not work. I am definitely going to make some of these for my table saw and band saw.

I used Fusion only because I’m most comfortable using it for this sort of thing. You could easily do this in any vector drawing app. Also, note that Fusion is free for small start ups and entusiasts.

2 Likes

The other thing I’ve had success with for this sort of thing is to use a flatbed scanner. I find my flatbed is pretty accurate for parts like this.

1 Like

Alternately, cut another? That much baltic is literally pennies :slight_smile:

Especially if lending it out to that friend again… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
(hopefully nothing worse than this plate & no organic bits involved!)