Etched Glass - Not Laser Made

Wow, this is really fine detail for vinyl. As a Mason I really like this piece and appreciate all the work you put into it.

2 Likes

Looking forward to using my small blast cabinet again. Probably a little under a square foot inside.
Used it texturing gold and silver, the media is a super fine flint shot (glass bead). The flint shot leaves a softer texture than the sharp angles of sand. Almost a burnish as opposed to a cut.
Do you use silica (white) or regular sand?

This thing is old enough that the gloves in it have dry rotted, but I see it’s time to refurbish it.
Nice work!

What type of vinyl are you using? I tried the Silhouette brand and I think something off ebay, but the results were not too great. Weeding took ages because the small details kept coming off the backing. :confused:

Nice work.

1 Like

I try to stick with Oracle brand.

1 Like

Very nice, I know what a pain that kind of weeding is.

If you never want to weed again, try SR3000… It’s cooool stuff. You need to buy or build an exposure unit, though.

Very nice, I used to use something like this when a silk screened shirts. I always had to have someone do the photo part than i would apply the resist to the screen myself.

That’s true, you can have masks made for you, not a bad way to go at all if you’re making lots of the same item.

The nice part of silk screen printing, a single mask will allow many prints to be made from a single mask. A mask for sandblasting will only work one time :frowning:

2 Likes

Wow, first time I heard of this. Looks very neat. I doubt it takes too long to build an exposure unit when you have a glowforge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve used primarily Aluminum Oxide, but recently found a local place that carried the Silicon Carbide and purchased a 40 lb box. Using the homemade cabinet, I can resuse a lot of the medium before replacing - haven’t used the Silicon yet, but heard it creates less static ( easier to see in cabinet) and leaves a nice finish as well. I’ve used the glass beads on plates before - creates more of a “texture” . I’ve purchased sand but plan to use it as rust remover/metal cleaner in my larger cabinet.

1 Like

When you find something that we can cut with the Glowforge, can you please let me know. I have never done any work on glass but want to try when we get our Glowforges. It I really hard to search for the different tapes when you have no experience with it. :cry:

1 Like

Etched (sand blasted) some glasses and cutlery for a friend at work who’s planning a Quincerera (sic?). Stencils were cut with silhouette on vinyl.

10 Likes

Very nice work.

I find the Silhouette a nice tool for projects like this while I’m waiting for the Glowforge. I expect the Silhouette will still get plenty of use even after the GF arrives. I know cutting vinyl with a laser is a bad idea due the the gasses that will be produced.

Uh-oh! Quinceañera is 15. (Do you have a spare glass?)

(Whoops! Never mind…just read up that some non-traditional families are combining with a Sweet 16.)

Great etch job!

1 Like

I was wondering about that too when she gave me the specs. Apparently-the 2nd glass is for the next year? Maybe it’s like putting a piece of wedding cake in the freezer for the first anniversary. That;s why no date on the Sweet 16 one. I still need to do a lot of paper cut-outs this morning for her. (about 2.2 inch circles)

2 Likes

I tell you the party for these things is a very. big. deal…the one we attended down here a few years ago was costlier/had more people than my wedding. :open_mouth:

We were astounded. (Great party tho!)

5 Likes