Hot Foil Stamping

Thanks for the video link.

It now get me thinking of other uses for the lasering foil.

2 Likes

So… referring to the video, is it just adhesive-backed and the laser is only cutting/engraving it? Is there any heat-based adhesion/extra bonding from the lasering process? Or is essentially comparable to sign-vinyl and Wrap Film in terms of how it sticks to stuff and how it wears?

3 Likes

How hot the platen? My pizza press does go to 200 degrees F.

It’s all adhesive backed. Apparently it bonds tightly over time. One other video out there recommends applying the foil and weeding out any excess within a short period of time. @marmak3261 No heat Is necessary with the foil I referenced. Don’t know about the foil that @Xabbess used.

It doesn’t mention it in the videos, but I’d probably apply some extra pressure when it is complete. Just stack some books or other weights or it for a couple hours.

1 Like

For anyone who might be interested, here’s another print done on water color rag paper. I know I read that the foil won’t come out smoothly, but it’s actually a very nice look…very textured and rather subtle. I like it almost better…but that could be depending on the subject matter of the image being used. There are both silver and gold on this, as I just used up two scraps laying around.

14 Likes

Here’s another thing you can try: toner paint. I mixed some copier toner refill material (a small bottle of the powder is available online for about $7) with Mod Podge and a little water, and you can use the resulting paint with a cosmetic sponge and a stencil to apply designs to paper or cardstock. After it dries it will not smear, but will foil nicely just like the laser printed items.

9 Likes

Thanks…I’ll sure keep it mind. I remember some round of conversation on here about using toner powder…and this idea would be great fun with some freehand work.

I think I like this even more than the full color one!

2 Likes

Thanks…I think I do, too. Definitely lots of experimentation is in order. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m ready to try the adhesive laserable foil. Looks very Christmassy, doesn’t it? Now if I only had a Laser. :santa:

22 Likes

Hey, Erin and all…here’s my latest project. It was SO labor intensive doing all the tracing, and then to top it off, doing four colors was incredibly time consuming. I don’t think I’ll get this involved in the next one. But, I do know this…I’m getting really good at tracing and foiling stuff! As usual, it’s difficult to photograph such a reflective thing.

35 Likes

Simply awesome! :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, this one is stunning! Who knew one could layer colors like that? I’m learning a lot!

1 Like

This is great. I love the 70s vibe.

2 Likes

Can you use the laser for foil on leather?

1 Like

And that’s why we now need an ink head or penholder head for our forges :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fantastic!

1 Like

Just so you don’t think you’re being ignored…I don’t know the answer to your question. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you that. :relaxed:

You are amazing!!!

Great work! It looks beautiful!:grin:

2 Likes