Pre-Release Glowforge: delivery, unboxing, setup, first prints! :glowforge:

Your ruler photo caused happy dances and waving hands here in the office! Glad you like it! So amazing to see one that I didn’t print myself :slight_smile:
Keep up the wonderful documentation, and thank you!

Credit where credit is due:
@madebynick designed the ruler originally, and I tweaked it for the pre-release setup process and manual.

23 Likes

Thanks for taking the extra effort to share these videos! So cool to see, and very helpful. Appreciate it.

4 Likes

My reaction to seeing the unpacking video…

22 Likes

Hey @kittski! caputak? Polish cat? Glad to see you post again!

3 Likes

Marmak3261, Thank you! The pictures are great! My wife and I are anxiously awaiting our chance to open our Glowforge boxes.

3 Likes

Do you have to go through the “tutorial” when you first fire it up? I was hoping to be able to experiment with some food before putting other stuff in. Or are you just following words in the manual? Is it just plastic that you have to worry about?

5 Likes

So my Glowforge went through two days of testing. Check pics of crumb tray for evidence. So I thought about having some fresh pasta ready, but just had to let it go, especially when I read the manual in the very brief time between knowing I’d be receiving a Glowforge and actual delivery. I noted that they had three projects laid out and materials to work with, so I thought that since I was first demo, no one (except Glowforge staff) would see it as “been there, done that” and even they were happy to see it done by someone else! I did do a few tests here and there to go through the interface before I actually went through the print. I needed to see the process so I could figure out when to shoot the video.

So no tutorial but step by step guide and the interface just follows easily once you choose the design from the catalogue. I’ll do the other stuff tomorrow and then branch out and do some demonstrations I have committed to for a few of the forum members.

It’s not just plastic. Remember that carbon has noxious potential in various forms, not the carbon but the other goodies that are in the wood or leather. Take real wool felt. Read up on it. Has some strange issues.

Check out all the materials topics.

I would imagine/hope/bet that some of the prerelease Glowforges went to folks who are busy making tutorials to go live on delivery of production models because people will want to know how to do stuff. I certainly will explore the limits (staying safely within warranty!)

18 Likes

Wisconsin is here and absorbing every word and picture!

7 Likes

One Wisconsin (future) Glowforger here. Thanks for posting all of this. Looking to having a beer with my :glowforge:. You must have connections. New Glarus beers are great, but as their website says - “Only in Wisconsin”. Their philosophy reminds me of Glowforge’s. Make it the best it can be no matter what.

I think a bar in Minnesota got fined for purchasing it in WI and reselling it at the bar. If you need more, I’ll make a border run to bring it down in order to see a real live :glowforge: before mine is delivered. :beer:

I’m symbolicly joining you in a toast to MacForge, but drinking a beer from a local Brew Pub. Rustic Road’s Hazelnut Harvest is one of my favorites. It has a nutty, carmel taste that makes my mouth go :squee: when I drink it. Luckily, they just began to offer it in cans instead of just growlers at the pub.

Thanks again for all the posts. Hope we don’t wear you out with questions. Take time to enjoy it just for yourself.

Cheers!

7 Likes

Where in Wisconsin? I’m in Kenosha.

2 Likes

Waukesha here!

3 Likes

We are right between the two of you in Racine.

I went to Carroll! But way back when it was “College” not the fancy “University” that it is now.

Maybe we’ll have to try to set up a GUG (Glowforge Users Group) in Wisconsin. Sharing ideas & experiences and maybe even splitting supply orders when there are minimums or just materials you want to try without buying a lot. I just ordered Laser Foil, and it will be a long time Before I use 25 feet of it. I just had to have it though!

4 Likes

Know right where it is. I think you are on the Glowforge map, but could never match a name.

Who’d a thunk a Preacher from Missouri having a Bootleg Wisconsin beer would have brought us together?

8 Likes

Parishioners with kids in Wisconsin. They know what to bring back. Have a niece and nephew who went to Beloit and got the family drinking it.

2 Likes

Oooh, that looks good! Is it a sweeter nut brown, or more of an amber? American nut browns are my favorite type of beer (failing that, a nice porter). One of the reasons that I love this time of year!

2 Likes

Sweeter, almost has a chocolatey taste, and in a good way, not like that mass produced stuff that was discussed in detail in another thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

In re; bottom runners and photos with measurements. First, thank you so much…all those photos are very detailed and thorough. Now my question… if you can answer, that’s great…but if anyone else can tell me, that’s fine, too. I’m being picky here; One of these is obviously at the front of the machine and the other at the back…one is about 2.5" from the edge and the other is about 3.5"from the edge…which is the front and which is the back?

4 Likes

Know why I love this time of year? First beer out of the Advent calendar :slight_smile:

Hey, if I have to work at home, I might as well enjoy a beer and watch the :glowforge: forums, right?!

3 Likes

Hey. The boss reminded me that I have a Glowforge with the edit and switch to Made on a Glowforge. Thanks @dan. Video is processing after being uploaded. No bells and whistles though a little singing.

1 Like