Yet another table thread - on sale

I bought one of these a year and a half ago for my office/studio. I’m very happy with it.

2 Likes

I like how you put that ammunition away for an appropriate moment. :sunglasses:

1 Like

$1 a lb for mine. Something like $75 a lb for those freaking muffin pans :slightly_smiling_face: Sheesh. Who’da expect that? :rofl:

2 Likes

Now that I’ve bought this Husky Mobile Workbench (but haven’t picked it up yet), got a question about Glowforge dimensions. The mobile cart depth is 18.2" while the Glowforge depth is 20.75". Are there feet on the bottom of the GF and what is their distance front to back, and if not will the 2.55" overhang be a problem? Or do we need to add another slab top to this cart to safely hold the GF? If so that puts the top of the GF Pro at 53", which may not be a problem for us tall folks, but how about those who are vertically challenged?

The depth isn’t a problem. There are long runners on the bottom going left to right that are set in from the front and back by several inches. Technically as long as the front to back distance is more than say 14" it will be sitting firmly on the runners. Now, the feet aren’t real tall. Is the top recessed?

3 Likes

There might be another pic of the bottom floating around, but here are what the runners look like. You should be fine.

2 Likes

I like the higher height (& I’m 5’8"). I don’t like bending over a lot - tough on the back. I have a little step I’ll repupose for GF use for my wife - she’s 5’2".

It’s probably fine unless you build one of those sound baffles @takitus designed. You could also reduce the height by swapping out the casters - I think the ones on it are 5 1/2" - it’s not like you’ll need the 1200lb rating of the casters it comes with. Just need to check the bolt hole position on any alternative set.

Thats only 4’ 5". I dont mind my stuff being up a bit higher, but you cant lean on it and watch it while its engraving which I find myself doing all too often, so guess youd have to go for something smaller.

Im really liking my shelves. Having so much space around it to keep my laser related tools and materials saves me a lot of time and searching.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know why I bothered to click the link… it read “Home Depot” and “Husky”.
In Canada that translates to “charge an outrageous fee for our in-house brand” ($397 CAD). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Only with the filter. Otherwise it’s short enough to lean on and watch the dancing laser :grinning:

Or put a wood frame riser on the floor to stand on.

1 Like

I’ll probably change out the casters anyway. I like all 4 casters rotating so you can just put it where you want it and don’t have to jockey it in position.

2 Likes

I bought one yesterday for my new workshop. I’ll be closing on the property this Friday, then the setup work really begins.

Good point @lcronkite, as the tool box is still sitting in the back of the SUV until next weekend. Would be easier to put on four rotating casters from the start.

2 Likes

Thanks, James - went by HD today and bought one - to be delivered on Saturday.

Was thinking of adding a small lip to the back to prevent little things from rolling away. Does anyone know what the clearance of the runners under the Glowforge is? How high can I make the lip?

Thanks,

John

Probably not necessary. You’ll have less than a foot of space on one side (or half of that on either side if you center the GF on the table-top). If you really want a stop for some reason (your floor slants?) I’d just print 2 Founders rulers and tape/glue them to the table-top. :slight_smile:

Looks like a quality unit. My need is taken care of, but if I still had a need, I would give serious consideration to @tom’s design, just because he;
1- is a glowforge customer, one of the family
2- what he has shared with us is clear proof of his skill
3- he designed a configurable unit specifically for a Glowforge.
4- I have a thing for the individual effort that is lacking in a commercially produced item - the personal connection I guess. That is reflected in his willingness to provide the plans for free if you wanted to build it yourself. So character figures in there too. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I gave @tom’s offer good consideration. But the ability to run down to HD and pick it up outweighed the better design of the shelves/drawers @tom’s unit has for our purposes. I have my stock in the drawers now but still would like something for more 12x20 flat stock so will likely go with some 12" shelves on the wall instead of the 10" ones I have now.

This happened to be a “ready now” option. If time allowed, @tom’s is more purpose built for our needs.

3 Likes

I understand, particularly because of the “3 boxes FedEx dropped off” :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I did not purchase the HD toolbox for the GF, but ratehr as general use storage and work surface for my new workshop. The new workshop will not even have the GF in the building. I refer to this new space as the dirty shop, woodworking, welding and other messy projects. I don’t want the GF exposed to all the dust.

Congratulations on the new boxes :wink: I was just wondering this morning when yours would arrive.

1 Like

:slight_smile: My MakerSpace does the same thing. Separate rooms for the shop (dirty side - saws, grinders, metal working, etc) and the lab (clean - electronics, laser, CNC, 3D printers all in enclosures with vacuum discharge) and a classroom. I’m installing a full dust collection system in the shop this month but even with that sawing and grinding kicks up a lot of dust & debris and people tracking stuff through - also don’t want 10ft pieces of material whacking into the machines we use in the clean room.

3 Likes