Schedule update (December '16)

They’ve already stated how many were sold in initial 30-day pre-order campaign and how many they’ve sold after that campaign, along with a breakdown of basic vs pro, etc. I don’t remember the number of post campaign unit count but believe the total was around another $12mil or so when the numbers were published.

1 Like

They’re also burning at least 1 million every month (according to the email), Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, AlotOmoneyAlready. So $12 million at > $1 million each month means you’re paying for them and giving them away after a 12 month delay.

For those of you who are just joining us. I have added an update to my first post where topics and responses, reduced to major points for brevity: (This will seem harsh, but it’s not sunshine and roses right now). This update covers everything until post 214. Schedule update (December '16) I hope to continue updating it as new information and concerns appear.

I encourage everyone to read it and please contact me if there is something I have missed.

No, they really wouldn’t, because they’re cats. Not a species known for prosociality.

I didn’t say that to pick on you (I haven’t processed how I feel about this announcement, really); just as an example of how Brooks’ Law wouldn’t necessarily apply to a soft-skills position.

thanks for a great post, in the middle of so many that are not.:slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s cute. I pay $32 for shipping to Arizona with them multiple times a year, and frequently place orders in the couple hundred dollar ranges. What you’re missing and I’m being snide about is that price is pretty much the same with Inventables, no matter how big your shipment. They do a flat rate most of the time.

It’s a step, in ADDITION to the bundle of Proofgrade materials in addition to the other things promised.

To also be fair, I avoid Inventables for their shipping prices any ways (I mentioned that in the topic about favourite sources of materials) because they’re ridiculous. Since you’re international, have you looked to see who your local sources of acrylic would be? Maybe they can instead work a credit with that company.

1 Like

I am not talking about a dollor value i am taking about how many individual glowforge units uave been sold

I know @dan is tied up right now prepping for the lice Q&A session, so I don’t expect a response anytime soon, but I do think that some additional information is due to those who backed the initial project.

Updating individual users’ Glowforge account order page with xxxx/XXXX indicating they are number xxxx of XXXX would be nice. Also, information like "All pre-orders should ship by July 31, but we will start shipping small batches in (date range) and ramp up so that pre-order shipping is completed by July 31.

A question about the swappable head –

I could see how a swappable head would allow the GF to perform the functions of a cutter-plotter like the Silhouette Cameo. And that feature alone would be a welcome space-saver.

But I don’t follow how the GF could work as a 3D extruder. The laser arm would have a limited z-axis, just enough to maintain focus over a curved surface, right? (Sorry if this is a Glowforge 101 question I’ve somehow missed.) So if the laser carriage effectively only does x and y, then you’d need a drop-out floor to handle the z. What am I missing?

Now 23.57 GMT. Being British, I’ve switched from my red wine and am now sitting with a nice cup of English Breakfast Tea, waiting to stream.
Good luck too all.
For those of you wondering, we mostly drink Breakfast tea, regardless of what time it is.

12 Likes

Good stuff too!

2 Likes

…Of which I just bought my second. :wink:

My guess would be that it wouldn’t do more than the 0.5" height for this particular machine, with taller machines in the future. But, that’s speculation.

It’s possible that with the power and data hookups, the head itself could have an increased z range. Z doesn’t have to remain on the arm or in the bed, there are small enough stepper motors to fit within the same approximate space(with the extruder carriage) of the laser head carriage. Or for that matter, a razor plotter.

1 Like

It has taken me all day between work and offline responsibilities to get to the end of the string. @dan, I need you to know, that I was frustrated and angry the first time, and i think you may remember that. What I also need you to know, is that with how you specifically(not your team) have addressed things, is what has dissolved all of that, and I came to realize how monumental your efforts have been towards the positive.

I was shocked this time around, but that is not a negative feeling. I just needed a moment to process… So I did. I read through your postings and what I understand is that you genuinely care about what we think. What we want. What we deserve. There are a few people having some tantrums here so I apologize and hope you can still be patient with us.

I thank you, for being Dan. Dan is different. Dan is making a different product. Dan is addressing things differently than other CEOs do. I’ve seen larger companies, dealing with much larger amounts of money, having been responsible for problems involving the loss of HUMAN LIFE hold a press conference, apologize a few times, slightly bow, and walk away. (See TEPCO).

I challenge anyone else here to cite an example of a CEO doing more to accept responsibility than our man @dan here.

And it’s nothing about seeing the glass half filled, just that what we have seen so far isn’t a half glass spilled.

12 Likes

There are many. For example, Facebook/Oculus have not announced how many Rift VR headsets they have sold. Nor has HTC/Valve for the Vive. Nor has Sony with the Playstation VR. We only have hints and the occasional “more than X” number. (I work in VR so these numbers are of keen interest to us.)

Sometimes, even really big companies hold back that data on really big products.

2 Likes

Scott, I hear your requests. If we decide to make changes based on them, I will let everyone know.

2 Likes

@dan I don’t want to say I speak for everyone, But I know a lot of us are really waiting for you to do something. Everyone read this is still here, give everyone who is angry, disappointed and scared a reason to trust you and Glowforge. We need a path forward and only you can deliver that.

Also no more fluff please.

I’m not really sure what you expect them to do at this point. They just answered a bunch of questions, and gave legitimate reasons for why some others can’t be. I’ve never been a corp cheerleader but I do think your attitude is a bit unnecessary.

I mean, angry, disappointed, and scared? Let’s get down to brass tacks. People are mad because they’re not getting their discount lasers sooner. If it was really about anything else, most would have skipped to a competitor that can give them a majority of the same functionality by now. But they don’t want to give up their discounts - which fine, neither do I - but this is the price you pay for them.

12 Likes

There is a reason already shown. He’s spent the day with us very closely today. He is in the forums posting multiple times a week all the time. He is there . Other CEOs are not.

4 Likes

@jrnelson Please point me to specifics on how they are going to communicate better with the audience.
What are their steps for resolving the issues with Glowforge so they can meet the next shipping deadline?
What are they doing to help customers who don’t get full refunds due to currency conversion loss?
How much has @glowforge made in total in interest on the $45+ million in sales that “isn’t being used to fund the company until after units are delivered”?

I am being harsh, I want FACTS, not PR spin where half of the stream is an advertisement for how awesome @glowforge is. Many of us are giving @Dan time to convince us to stay rather than just giving the company the middle finger by canceling. Shouldn’t @Dan use that opportunity wisely and give people the information they want?

1 Like