Setting Up the Glowforge Vent

One word… Mosquitoes.

7 Likes

This is one of those times that I wish there was a DISLIKE button. I hate those things and the itchiness they cause. Take some of my blood fairly painlessly, sure, but they have to leave behind something that itches for far too long.

2 Likes

The Michigan state bird…

8 Likes

ROFL! Just killed one of your state birds who was gettin’ too friendly.

3 Likes

Mosquitos aren’t much of an issue in my area. I get a mosquito bite maybe once or twice a year. Our back doors are open most of the time anyway so they already have a red carpet entrance.

1 Like

Ha! Went down to our basement office this morning and the door was closed with a sign on it: “Mosquito inside.” Arrrgh. I really needed to use the computer so I went in anyway, closing the door. I felt like the staked goat in Jurassic Park.

7 Likes

I think body chemistry plays a part. I’m safe as long as my wife is nearby…

6 Likes

A friend and I had to sleep in the truck in a wallmart parking lot in the swamps of Tennessee one night many years ago. It was really hot in the cab. We could only open the window about a quarter-inch, otherwise the mosquitoes were able to get in. Seriously… the mosquitos were so big that they could not fit through the quarter-inch gap.

6 Likes

That’s my wife and I, too. She thinks it’s quite unfair. She puts on layer and layer of bug spray and still gets swarmed. As long as she is nearby, I may get one or two around me.

2 Likes

I’m the mosquito magnet. :unamused:

I tell hubs it’s because I’m so hot-blooded…

(Well…I’ve gotta get something out of the deal!) :wink:

Dude, get one or two of these anti-mosquito bandanas. They work miraculously for me. I do a lot of camping, and though I’m usually a mosquito’s favorite dish, they completely ignore me if I have one of these around my head or neck and a little herbal spray on my clothes. Seriously, other people’s shirts can be seething with mosquitos and I’m bug free.

5 Likes

I suspect they use Permethrin. You can make one yourself by spraying a bandana with the stuff (keep it away from cats and fish though). I treat my clothes with it before weeding or going into buggy areas and it works great. My brother and I went geocashing once and he came out covered in ticks and I didn’t have any. You can get it at Amazon.

1 Like

I wondered–but does permethrin last between washes? I’ve washed mine a dozen times and they still work fine.

They don’t usually bother me much, but they love my wife. :slight_smile:

I actually have a screen in the window, so the mosquitos are not such a big deal.

Yes, on the bottle it says 6 weeks and six washes (I think).

Huh–I’ll have to give it a shot when these stop working. It would be nice to have a “refill” method.

1 Like

state bird of NJ too. Grow so big here they’ll use their beaks to drill through wooden boat hulls. If you bend their beaks over, they’ll just carry you and the boat off.

Or so some old folk stories go. We need more of them these days.

We’re the opposite… They go after my husband and not me! I read an article recently about new research that has found mosquitos can tell what blood type a person has…by scent, maybe? And that they prefer type O!

2 Likes

I’m going to have to rig up something like this in a skylight. Does the hose remove actual large debris (not just particles) or is it mainly removing the fumes/scent? I’m a bit worried about the neighbors downwind, though no one is immediately below the window.

Fumes & scents. Won’t rule out super fine particulates, but it’s not like a saw or mill.

2 Likes