Setting Up the Glowforge Vent

Nor is it like a sawmill. :grinning:

4 Likes

Ok thanks, that’s what I thought. We get enough wind here that on the third floor, it should be ok! Maybe people will think it’s the kebab place downstairs. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I am planning to install a roof vent in my garage for venting the glowforge. The vertical amount of distance the air will need to travel is roughly 10’. Do I need to add a powered fan into the roof vent, or is the GlowForge basic powerful enough to vent itself with the duct and no other assistance?

You might be alright, but that is right at the recommended limit. I needed a booster because of the length of run and 4 elbows. A benefit is the booster continues to run after the machine fans shut off.
If you do install one, best to have it as close to the exit as possible so the exhaust run is under negative pressure eliminating the need to seal seams and connections against leaks.

3 Likes

Just a note if you live in a snowy location, see my venting experience this week after a snow storm, which was easier to solve at my house since my vent comes out at deck level (on a roof would be very tough to solve)…

That is definitely something to consider. Glad you caught it in time! I do live in a snowy area (Michigan). I’ll have to be sure to position it where I can reach it with a broom in the winter. I considered running the vent through the soffit but decided I would prefer to have it vent up higher. As my house has a brick exterior, that limits my easy-to-install options a bit.

1 Like

Mine vents through the roof via a redundant furnace vent and I love it. Unless the snow is deep enough up there to bury the vent stack, I’ve got no issues.
A benefit is any odor disapates quickly and doesn’t bother any neighbors.

2 Likes

I think I’ll do a combo of the two ideas… the adjustable metal one, with a layer of 2" foam insulation inside of the metal (with a hole cut for the vent, obviously), because, Minnesota. And once that’s all set up and functional, I’ll use the glowforge to make a maple (or some other wood) cover so it looks pretty. Because I can. :slight_smile:

For the record the foam board worked great! Right up until I had a long session on a below zero day. That night when I went to take it out the foam was frozen in place. Wasn’t about to leave the GF open to those temp all nighf while not running so I had to break it apart. Now I have a 1/2" ply board thats hinged and has weather stripping around the edges. I’ll throw a picture up when I have a chance.

2 Likes