Shot Glass Jig & Template

I am a little concerned about parallax issues and such. For the one design I have in mind right now, I don’t think it will be a big problem as the design is not very wide. But I’m sure I’ll come up with other designs where this could be a concern.

Or perhaps it’s a trust level thing about what discourse user trust level is allowed to create new tags for a category.

1 Like

Yeah, it had something to do with the category. I changed it to Project Inspiration and was able to tag it as a tutorial.

4 Likes

What you have is a cylindrical projection. There’s gotta be software out there that will do that conversion. (I know there’s software that does the equivalent conversion for the egg-bot where you have a spherical or elliptical object but a rectangular canvas.)

Essentially you are going to have to squeeze all your vertices by 1/(1-sin(theta)), where theta is the angle of the glass surface (and can be calculated from the distance from centerline but I can’t think and type that fast). And any bitmaps will have to be segmented and squeezed in sections. But. Because people look at cylinders from one point, you may get something that looks better by splitting the difference between proper squeeze and unsqueezed.

2 Likes

GREAT!!! write up showing your whole process love it and thank you

2 Likes

This is super cool! Looks like it will work to me.

Let me know if you’d like me to move this back to Free Laser Designs, where it would be a great fit. Tags mystify me too.

4 Likes

Thanks @dan! I couldn’t decide if it fit better on Project Inspiration or Free Laser Designs. I’m fine with it being in either category.

2 Likes

Just confirm you want me to do it for you, since putting it there implies that you give permission per the license at the top.

2 Likes

Yes, I give you permission to move this post back to Free Laser Designs.

1 Like

Done! This is just terrific. Great work.

2 Likes

Thanks Dan!

Would it be OK for me to do a screen recording showing how the initial layout could be made in Fusion 360? I don’t want to encroach on your thread, but it could be helpful and stuff.

3 Likes

That would be great. Thanks for asking.

4 Likes

Thank you! I’m sure I will read through this again when I start experimenting. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Outstanding job on this!

1 Like

I done made the video… it came out longer than I wanted, but skipping around is always possible.

The patterning bit starts at 13:43 and goes to 17:30 or so. (OK, there’s little more at 18:34 through 19:15.)

And an alternative strategy to making the shot glass cutout, by using a revolve cut, basically starts at 12:44 and goes to to 13:40.

17 Likes

That was great! I learned a lot more about Fusion from watching this. Thanks for suggesting an alternate solution.

If I were to start today, I probably would use Fusion 360 for as much of the work as you did. I would still send it to 123D Make to slice. I still believe I will need all four slices to keep the glasses held at the 7 degree angle. I would still also send the top layer into CorelDraw to make the template for lining up the artwork to be etched.

5 Likes

Based on the fact that you can do one engrave/cut, then move things and have them align properly with the cameras (typical use for the slot in the pro right?) then you should be able to engrave part, manually rotate the glasses and engrave more.

1 Like

Theoretically, yes but, based on some posts by @dan on some other threads, it’s not clear if that feature will work in this scenario. I hope it will. If not initially, then at some point down the road.

3 Likes

WOW!!! Excellent work, I have been thinking in do some souvenirs too, and I never thought I could do the base to put the Items (pens, shots, etc) in Corrugated Cardboard. Thanks for the time you put to explain everything you have been learning.

1 Like