Show and Tell

Wow! steampunk master.
How cool! Your costumes are killer. A pterodactyl skull as a weapon, that. is. awesome!

I see by your amplitude where you got the handle @stilts! There is a man who knows how to duck!

How do you see yourself using the forge?

Thank you for sharing your excellent work!

3 Likes

i will be using the forge in every way possible … everything from cut acrylic to cutting foam but mostly going to use it for rapid prototyping leather made goods and such

1 Like

Holy cow. That is some amazing art.

1 Like

Practice is always good, but, for me, its not really going to gel until I have the laser making the cuts, because of the kerf size & focus issues.

Great work on the saw!

1 Like

@stilts very sweet work!!!

2 Likes

Custom 3D Catan Set

Last summer I decided to div into make my own custom 3D Catan Set, I am pretty proud of it and plan on using the Glowforge to finish up the remaining pieces like settlements, cities, water and border pieces. Hope you like it.

I started out with designing the base tile pieces in sketchup and sending it off to a 3D printer.

This was the first time using an online 3D printer so I was mighty impressed with the quality I got back.

I made a mold of the base tile, and started casting a base tile for each type of tile in catan. I would use these base tiles to model each 3-Dimensional tile using modeling clay.

This is a picture of all the base tiles after casting was complete.

I started sculpting the mountain tile first, and ended up resculpting it eventually because I didn’t like how this one turned out.

This is all of the sculpted tiles side by side to their original tiles.

This is me starting to create the two sided molds for the tiles, using my sophisticated mold maker.

This is me popping out the first casted tile piece.

Another progress pic of the casted tiles.

Did a base coat on all the tiles. I soon learned that it would have been much better to do a lighter base coat.

Staying true to my previous pattern i decided to start painting the mountain tile first, using acrylic paints.

Progress pic of the paint up. I was starting to get really excited at the point because all the tiles were starting to look really good together.

And we are done, at least with the tiles… I plan on sculpting settlements, cities, and ships soon. I want to use the Glowforge to build border and water tiles.

44 Likes

This is epic! Great show and tell.

1 Like

Amazing!

2 Likes

Phenomenal! Excellent work.

2 Likes

Great crafting there, I love the topography! You may also employ the forge to build a nice custom case.
Thank you for sharing your amazing version! Well done.

1 Like

About how many castings do you get per mold doing that? I have the gumption to get into making miniature figurines but have hesitated that i may not be able to skillfully pull it off, but seeing your step by steps, i think i may have been scared over nothing.

1 Like

Seriously though - the amount and diversity of talent in this forum is amazing. I so look forward to the realization of a “ForgeCon” one day ( as talked about in another thread).

27 Likes

To answer your question, I don’t know, but I have made two sets now without any notice of degradation. Not to say it wont, but I have a mold for each tile type and I have made close to 16-20 castings per mold by now.

As far as the ease of getting into it… This is the first time I ever did any type of molding or casting (it probably shows to the more advanced), and I think it turned out pretty well. I definitely learned a LOT in the process.

I think its easily something anyone can do, just make sure you read up on the process before you dive in, because materials can be a little pricey.

2 Likes

It really depends on what you make the mold out of, and what you use to cast it with.

Here are two really great mold making videos from Bill Doran and Frank Ippolito/tested that should answer a lot of your questions and give you a lot of pointers along the way:

10 Likes

I think it turned out great!
The product of our creative struggles is part of the payoff - the other part is the education we accrue in the process!

2 Likes

This is truth.

Also… Thank You printolaser that means a lot!

2 Likes

You’re amazing! I’m a HUGE Rousey fan, and your artistry on her (and the rest you showed) is AMAZING.

2 Likes

Thank you. It was alot of fun😁

A sign using an Ikea cutting board purchased for $6.

A “wooden nickel” for a fundraising event.

16 Likes

Some voltives I made over the holidays. Made on a Trotec Rayjet.

24 Likes