The Leather Bag Story

Built in trackr is genius! Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

It’s an elegant bag for a more civilized age. I can’t wait to see what Glowforge can do to my own leatherworking project list!

3 Likes

Beautiful project! Last time I worked with leather I was excited to find that a dashed line in illustrator would cut only the dashes (rather than a solid line) on the Epilog when cutting from a PDF. This made stitching super easy as I had all the holes pre-cut.

Did you do something similar for your bag, and does the Glowforge handle dashed lines in the same way?

2 Likes

@Dan: Was it made on a GlowForge?

2 Likes

Were you able to fit all of the leather flat in the laser?

1 Like

@dan will you be able to do all that scan and scale work with the GlowForge? It doesn’t seem far off from the demo child drawing and acrylic + copying only instead of copying scaling this time

Looking forward to creating custom bags, wallets, etc. Something that works with what the person needs.

@makerblock I was wondering that as well.

The flap looks like its bigger then the work area of the glowforge, or is there a seam I cannot see?

Thanks @dan for sharing! I really hope that this design (or one like it) will be in the “free design catalog” when the Glowforge is released! :smile:

You can do it with a seam on the back with Basic, or one-piece with Pro.

1 Like

@dan: Cool, thank you

The pro would need something engraved to pick up on for reference, correct?

We’ve done all the proof of concept work but haven’t productized the software yet so this answer may change, but: you cut the first half, then slide it more than halfway through, and it picks up the cuts to align the next part of the pattern.

Dan: Does the software for the Glowforge handle dashed lines from Illustrator? That makes sewing so much easier.

Chris, I would assume so as I have done that in a production setting using other laser machines and from what I see from the GF example images… My 2¢

Yes, you just need to select Object…Path…Outline Stroke before you send it to Glowforge.

3 Likes

That was my concern. :frowning: With my current workflow on the Epilog I can keep my dashed Illustrator lines as actual lines, so I can adjust them as the template changes over time. Right now I just export to PDF and the dashed lines are interpreted as individual segments (by the Epilog tool chain) without having to break them apart. Changing them to an outlined stroke is a one way move that I would like to avoid. Also, changing them to outlined strokes makes each line segment 4 lines (a rectangle rather than a slit), which makes the laser spend a lot more time cutting and heating (damaging) the material for each hole in the seam line.

1 Like

Ah! Makes sense. I’ll put that in as a feature request.

3 Likes

Thank’s for posting this @dan. I’m sorry I didn’t respond to it sooner since I asked you for it. Had issues with the payment but should go through on Monday, fingers crossed :smile:

This bag you’ve made, is just awesome. And just paper and scissors at first… I’ll definitely be making something like this :smile: